Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Would You Grade This 1947 Lucky Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Needless to say, it is seldom to find one of these lucky cents in nice condition.and it is nicely tone as a bonus.
what grade would you give the coin alone?
any comments are appreciated..
thanks guys..

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52079 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my view, not gradable. The coin's edges will almost certainly be damaged by the holder.
Canada
16 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Salishbunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi 47P7, I do not know anything about grading, I have heard about these Lucky Pennies but never seen one, really cool looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3241 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to see these alot growing up in the US Midwest, but not so much in the last 50 years. There is a collector here in the T.O. area who specializes in these "encased" cents, both Good Luck and commemorative, and has a very large assemblage. From the hair, alone, I'd say AU and it maybe rode in someone's pocket for a while.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/24/2020 09:44 am
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A situation similar to yours with this encased cent:

I am not a big collector of encased coins. But when I saw this one on eBay a few months ago, I couldn't resist the patina on the 1 cent 1947.

However, I was a bit disappointed when I received the token to notice some damage on the 1 cent (In the middle of the Obverse), probably from the moment it was inserted in the ring.

Anyway, I am still satisfied, even though I already owned several 1 cent 1947 with a similar or even better eye appeal.

------------------
Anecdote:
Quite the opposite of this other encased coin which was part of a lot that I acquired 2 weeks ago, and which is most probably the most worn I had in my hands (Maybe a pocket piece?).

Edited by ainsivalavie
11/17/2020 7:42 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, unfortunately, the process of making one of these "encased coins" damages the coin - they crush part ofthe rim down ti a thin strip, then wrap the aluminium casing around the strip. This prevents the coin from simply falling out. Modern bimetallic coins use much the same principle, to stop the central plug from falling out too easily.

You occasionally find a coin that has been liberated from such encasement; they look like this American example - and all you have is a "damaged coin" that might get mistaken for some kind of mint error.

So the coin no longer exists as a "coin", to be graded separately. Any grade given is applied to the whole piece; in instances where the coin is heavily worn but the encasement is still pristine (if the original coin had been well-worn when it was encased), it is the condition of the encasement that determines the item's condition.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, unfortunately, the process of making one of these "encased coins" damages the coin - they crush part ofthe rim down ti a thin strip, then wrap the aluminium casing around the strip. This prevents the coin from simply falling out. Modern bimetallic coins use much the same principle, to stop the central plug from falling out too easily.

You occasionally find a coin that has been liberated from such encasement; they look like this American example - and all you have is a "damaged coin" that might get mistaken for some kind of mint error.

So the coin no longer exists as a "coin", to be graded separately. Any grade given is applied to the whole piece; in instances where the coin is heavily worn but the encasement is still pristine (if the original coin had been well-worn when it was encased), it is the condition of the encasement that determines the item's condition.

I deviated a bit from the subject with my previous comment, but for the rest, I share your opinion.
Edited by ainsivalavie
11/17/2020 7:47 pm
Valued Member
Canada
140 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

@Sap: The coin from Koinpro made me think of a USA 1 cent 1901 in my possession where I was wondering. In my opinion, we are probably facing the same thing here too.

Do you agree with me?

Edited by ainsivalavie
11/17/2020 8:01 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05