Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 Lincoln Wheat Error Penny - Multiple Errors On Obverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  11:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rosalita to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

I have this 1909 Lincoln Wheat penny with multiple errors on the obverse including 2 spike heads above Lincoln's head, one off the top of Lincoln's head and one off the back of Lincoln's head. But need some help determining what are the small bumps of metal scattered mainly across the bottom half of the penny and various other areas on the obverse?

Also I would like to know what is happening with the rim? Is this a MAD? There is an error on the rim by the "L" in Liberty and also a chip on the rim below the date. What is the black line the runs through the edge of the coin and the other piece of raised metal on the edge?

Sorry for all the photo's. It was difficult to take clear pictures of all the various parts of the coin I have questions about.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4966 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "head spikes" appear to be die cracks.
The obverse die appears to be a later die state.

The linear "features" below LIBERTY I thought could be from die polishing BUT since they seem to carry over onto Lincolns shoulder that doesn't fit well.
I've seen similar features from rusted dies BUT I can't imagine that on 20th century US coins.
Third thought was some sort of strike through.

The small rim nicks I attribute to damage.

As for the other rim features -- a striking anomaly?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3609 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO...your 3rd photo shows hints of a well stuck lam ( under the UST of trust)...anybody else see that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52047 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, all I see are the incipient lams under Liberty, which I think detract from value.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 287Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05