Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Getting A Coin Graded The Only Way To Have It Validated.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a coin that probably does not have much value but would like to have something that officialy gives it a title.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can take it to a dealer but I don't think it's official until it's in a TPG'er slab.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36414 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is it? You may be able to just send it to someone like Wexler?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest you simply post clear, high resolution photos of the coin's obverse and reverse. That way, perhaps we can help you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hello Tileman

Variety Vista attribution services for a low fee.
You will get a signed document.
other costs... shipping and handling.

Works for a previously discovered variety as well as a NEW discovery.
here is a document that I got from Variety Vista for a new discovery variety.

but for a fee of $ZERO dollars, you can post pictures here and get an opinion within the hour...

TPG, Wexler/Variety Vista/coppercoins/CRDieVarieties (when they are accepting coins), or internet forum groups each serve a purpose with PROS and CONS.

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1469 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing to note is the corrosion. Aka, the green spots. Those almost always give what we call "details" grades.

Second, is to get a "photograde" book. It does not really matter what edition you get; at this point. All you are doing is trying to build the base on your knowledge. We all had to start somewhere.

Your coin is probably somewhere in the fine range. Or would be without the green spots and red sploches.

So it would in most likelyhood be called a "fine details" coin.

At this point, and for such a common coin, it probably has no value above face or its value as copper.

On a rare coin such as a 1909 S VDB Lincoln Wheat cent, those spots would still give it a details grade, but the coin would still have quite a bit of value.

Don't be afraid to post pictures. Yours were just fine. It is the only way to learn

Good luck in your future hunts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36414 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you talking about the die chip? Do you want it graded? Do you want an attribution number if it is a new discovery? Validated in what way? Please be precise with your questions.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tileman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I know that the grade is low and figured that value was face I have looked for a DDO,ddr,floating roof,or double ear or what I will call abnormality for a while and for whatever reason it may be haven't had much luck. This is the first I found . Just kinda wanted to have a name for it other than die chip. Probably sounds crazy to yall. I have plenty of morgans,franklins,piece,ike's coins that I have purchased but this means more because I found it in whst was my pocket at one point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure if you know about these sites...

ERROR reference http://www.error-ref.com/
Broken die errors https://cuds-on-coins.com/die-breaks/
Die clashes https://www.maddieclashes.com/

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05