Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1994-P Quarter Plating/Clad Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 252Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
62 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this yesterday. Seems pretty legit. What does it look like to you guys? Oh yeah, weighs 5.50.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36453 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks normal to me.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chj, for sure it is copper colored, but it seems more likely to be just surface discoloration to me. I'd expect a lower weight and areas of decreased sharpness of the design elements if a clad layer was missing. Here is a link to the page on error-ref for reference:

http://www.error-ref.com/?s=missing+clad
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree Spence. I have heard of missing clad errors having near normal weights though. I'm almost certain that this was never the intended finish. I would lean to some sort of acid dip, but it's too uniform and flawless. Then I almost thought nickel planchet. But no, the edge is still two toned. But it does seem a bit thin. When clad falls off I'd assume that it takes a hair of the under layer with it. But then you will clearly see the blurred image. But I wonder if it were just normal planchet, that was simply never plated, that seems the most logical. The chrome like whatever plating itself probably doesn't weigh much at all, so I think the weight would probably be spot on at 5.50. But also at such an even number, it may make sense that this is done foreign planchet... It could be anything...

But also, if you look closely at the reverse, the eagle's beak has some funk about it. And when I saw a bit about this in a search, it mentioned the eagle's right talon. And that appears slightly funky too. I didn't bother reading about it, but I assume it's nothing. And last the obverse has a serious double ear kinda deal. But I'm not sure if the images I posted show these. But it's pretty apparent in person. But as usual, any bits of info are always greatly appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some of what I read in an article a while back:

The rarest form of missing clad error is not caused by an insecure bond at all. It is a rolling error that traces back to the bonding mill. Three potential scenarios are involved:

1. The leading end of one clad strip lags behind the leading end of the core strip and the other clad strip.

2. The trailing end of one clad strip ends prematurely.

3. A large gap is present in one clad strip.

In each case, you end up with a stretch of composite strip composed of only two layers, one of copper and one of copper-nickel. This length of strip is eventually rolled to normal coin thickness during subsequent passes through the rolling mill. Any blank punched from this area will weigh the same as a normal coin.

You can read the whole article here:
https://www.coinworld.com/news/prec...ly-miss.html

I wonder if this is what this could be?
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 252Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05