Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bicentennial Ike For Grading

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 539Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  09:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for the opinions!

Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy oh boy...these big guys with their weight and exposed fields are really vulnerable to nicks and dings.
I'm sure you can see in your pics the 4 hits he took on the obverse...jaw line...neck...under the bust...and way out in right field below the Y. The reverse is super nice with just a tick below the 2nd T of states.
Beautiful Coin!
MS66 for me...
smat
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52090 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That neck gash really hurts this. At least it's well-placed, sort of looks like a skin crease. MS-63?
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smat- Yes! Terribly hard to find one worth sending in, but that's the fun part about Ikes! Quite a challenge.
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm posting this here basically to get a feel for how they're graded. I've come across many with surfaces that appear kind of porous, and rarely come across ones like these with exceptionally "tight" surfaces, if that makes any sense.
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel like the ones that don't appear so "tight" will always receive an MS-65, whereas ones like these have the potential for top-pop (minus the dings of course).
I guess strike is relevant to eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2029 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the toning found with Ikes in Bicentennial uncirculated mint sets. I have several very close in appearance to the coin shown--in terms of toning AND annoying dings. I'm seeing strong MS65 with this one.
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That neck gash really hurts this. At least it's well-placed, sort of looks like a skin crease.
It is part of the design, just the lighting angle makes is look bad here. Compare to my 1976-D Variety 2 Ike (gallery link in signature).

I say this is a strong MS-65, assuming what I am seeing as a cheek rub is just lighting and tone. I do like the tone.
Valued Member
United States
277 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid MS65. Maybe even a "65+" grade. I've been through hundreds of these and this one pictured is nicer than the few that I sent in for grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is part of the design

That horizontal hit on his neck is not part of the design.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HumblePie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever the Grade, it's a Beauty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2325 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  12:58 am  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse is MS64, Reverse looks a bit better, overall, MS65 imo.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Best LMC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378053
Best LSC DDR Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/378041
Learn More...
United States
92254 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That horizontal hit on his neck is not part of the design.
I thought he meant to the diagonal one. I somehow missed the horizontal before one but now I see it clear as day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does blend until you see it. The diagonal crease is also super distracting on this coin too. The reverse is very nice though.
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I think it's just my camera. There's nothing soft about the pics it produces, and seems to accentuate details that are hard to see with the naked eye.
When I hold this thing in hand it's a stunner, but then I look at the pictures and see two different coins!
Valued Member
Japan
176 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stephen-P to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But, I'd rather have it over-accentuate than under in terms of seeking grading opinions.
I really do appreciate it.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 539Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05