Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Buffalo Coins With Sticky Green Mess

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 919Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14289 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your Nickels are that bad you will have to change whatever solution your using a few times . Otherwise you'll just be putting that slime right back on your coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Comfort Numb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some photos

Pillar of the Community
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's some green crud! Looks like it has some mass to it. Curious how acetone will work.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1383 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Not much you can do to make those worse. Acetone won't do much. I never rinse with water, but in this case you can rinse in warm distilled water to get the larger clumps off (you can also go right to acetone or xylene but will need to change it out, so you'll use more). I've used a toothpick to coax the buildup off, without making contact with the coin. After that, I'd give it a good soak in xylene, while rolling over the affected area with a q-tip.

These will always be ED coins. Even if you can get the green off, surfaces under will still remain damaged, typically leaving red/brown spots.

Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That HAS to be PVC damage! Nothing else looks like that. Nickels don't get bronze disease, and normal verdigris never looks that bad. If it's sticky like you say, it is PVC goo. Looks like they were wrapped in plastic, correct? Does it smell like a shower curtain? It's Polyvinyl Chloride my friend.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2013 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would that be a clean shower curtain, or one that's seen daily use for 30 years?
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The PVC smell of a new shower curtain.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really bad. Swish them around in some warm soapy water first, to get the worst of the crud off. Distilled water and dish soap. Then acetone. As far as how many at a time. Depends on how big your jar is and how much acetone you have. Be sure to use the 100% acetone you get from a hardware store. Not the nail polish remover.

I use an old glass candle holder for my acetone. I generally just put one layer of coins on the bottom and flip a few times.

From the pics, it looks like some of those are starting to pit. If so, nothing is going to fix that. You may find other that are pitted underneath the green slime. No way to know until you try.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16685 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here are some photos

I can see a polyethylene bag in the picture, this is not PVC, it is plain old verdigris. Nickels contain copper, over time, they will develop verdigris (just like a penny) when improperly stored. Organic solvents such as acetone, xylene, etc. will have no effect on this verdigris other than to dehydrate it - which is fine if you want to store them as is.

The coins I see in the picture are in an advanced corrosion stage which I simply refer to as "heavy verdigris". Removal of such thick and advanced corrosion will reveal damage below it normally rendering a coin's value to not much more than face.

The first thing to do is separate out any key dates or important coins, if there are any. Those would need to be conserved carefully using a different method than I show below.

For the common dates, hold them under running hot water and rub with your fingers, a little dish soap helps too. You will certainly get some off. Of course the general advice is to "never clean coins" but IMO a carefully cleaned coin is far better than an unreadable slug. I've removed a lot of crud from coins just to be able to see what they are.

You have little to lose with common date coins that are this bad. GOOD LUCK!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  01:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdigris is never sticky, nor does it look like that. Again, does it is smell like a new shower curtain? If so, it is definitely pvc. On nickels verdigris is usually nothing worse than a few tiny green spots.

Verdigris is little green spots and is usually stable. PVC green goo is hazy and can get clumpy. This is pvc.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the nickels in the corner of picture #1. You can see the light green pvc haze. It gets darker over time and becomes clumpy. No verdigris I've ever seen looks anything like this.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That plastic bag could be old if the coins were stored in there for a long time. They used to make them out of pvc with plasticizers.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/30/2020 01:38 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 919Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05