Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Classic Bit Of Silver Eye Candy (Fake) To Get The Punters To Buy.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
382 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
Australia
631 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,always a jungle with Coins but especially since Ebay started,i notice he has sold 3 lots but that may be Berley purchases by associates.
Throwing 'silver' such as fake 1937/38 Crowns is common practice in bulk lots,not sure if this seller is genuine or not but extreme buyer beware is necessary on Ebay these days,stating the obvious.
Valued Member
Australia
382 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

notice he has sold 3 lots

And he doesn't even have to include the bait coins as he can say that they were in another lot.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you mean the silver 8 real/holey dollar, note I think its probably a re-strike (modern) whether silver I dont know?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3824 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sneaky. Also, add plastic cases to bulk it up...
Valued Member
Australia
382 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

you mean the silver 8 real/holey dollar, note I think its probably a re-strike (modern) whether silver I dont know?

If a silver re-strike I bet it will not end up in any of the lots sold. Out of curiosity, are there many counterfeit holey dollars around? With the prices I would assume the Chinese would be pumping them out but can't seem to find any sites detailing how to spot the counterfeits.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
868 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm this one harder to explain basically the genuine article which is demonetised, was a 8 real and had it's center punched out to make a Holey dollar and a dump. However due to their rarity there are restrikes, including Perth Mint have made both silver proof restrikes and nickle copper proof usually in sets. Either the Holey sets or a commerative fakes of all the famous and rare coinage of Australian. Sort of like the Maria Thersa thaler which get restriked but for circulation in those time (more for numismatic purpose).

However due to fact that not many people know this they just lump it in junk coins so it very likely some sort of copy.

There is also a one dollar copy of it :) which I happen to noodle.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36443 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does government auction.org have to do with it?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05