Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Coin Storage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2020  10:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys! I have a couple of Guardhouse slab boxes with NGC and PCGS slabs in them. The problem is that they don't fit in my safe! What should I do? I guess I could keep them outside the safe on a shelf or something. What would be a good way to protect the slab boxes? Plastic storage bins?

I've heard some say ziplock bags with silica gel are good, but the boxes are too big for that and I don't think that there is a need for silica since they're not in the safe (you always have to worry about moisture in safes, always). Any suggestions?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4556 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy a bigger safe

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19838 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Break out all the coins and put in Albums.
just carl
Valued Member
Lebanon
270 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chronos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I were you I would put the slabs without the box in the safe and I would put some silica gel bags in there .
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you're not really talking about "space" or "security" but environment?

A couple of boxes are not a storage problem. If it's environment you're worried about, they are fine just the way they are. Just keep them at room temperature. Not in the attic or basement.
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you always have to worry about moisture in safes, always
True, at least for fire safes. Most have trapped moisture in the insulation to help protect paper contents during fire.

Quote:
Buy a bigger safe
Probably the best idea, if it is feasible.

Quote:
Break out all the coins and put in Albums.
Only if that pleases you. I have both albums and slabs.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just keep the boxes on a shelf near my safe. I'm definitely not breaking the coins out of the slabs as their mostly high-grade Morgans and Silver Eagles.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My safe is a high-end Sentry fire safe that is also safe for CD's, DVD's, and external hard drive storage. I've had it for over five years with no moisture problems. I keep plenty of indicating silica in there.
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm definitely not breaking the coins out of the slabs as their mostly high-grade Morgans and Silver Eagles.

Quote:
I've had it for over five years with no moisture problems. I keep plenty of indicating silica in there.
Makes sense. I believe the trapped moisture is meant to stay trapped until there is extreme heat (fire), but the little bit that is released over time is not enough to overwhelm your desiccants.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If security isn't an issue, the box should be fine sitting on a shelf. It wouldn't hurt to throw a small silica pack in there as well.
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any recommendations for silica type and brand? Thanks
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dry-Packs is a good brand. Get indicating orange-to-green silica.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 358Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05