Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 Dollar For Sale Fake Or Real

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 795Next Topic  
Netherlands
33 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  03:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is for sale. I know there are a lot of fakes. So what do you think of this one?

If it is a fake it is not an obvious one. But something seems off with the head.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3189 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  04:59 am  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no red flags, looks good to me..
Valued Member
Poland
229 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  07:21 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gebs - I can see what you mean, but I think that it is caused here by the lighting in the photo. Other than the gouge on the bottom of the bust, looks good to me as well...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
711 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll need some backup here, as these are not my forte, but.........something about the date is talking to me. The 8 looks cocked off ever so slightly clockwise. The 1 has flared tips on the west side, but not the east side. The 9 looks heavy and the 4 light. For all I know, this may prove authenticity. The big gash on his neck hurts the coin, the hair has some nice detail still. Is the asking price reasonable?
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3247 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, fakes are not my forte, but I see differences in the "shape" of the I's on the Obverse, some with serifs, some straight. The photo is really a little too small for me to see it well.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparative ping tone test with another known genuine dollar, and accurate weight tests should prove one way or the other.
From the pictures, looks OK to me.
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the 1948 really such a big deal? They command a considerable price and I get it that they were not minted in large numbers. But those that were made seem to have been preserved to the point that finding one that is AU or better is not a humongous challenge.

Just asking. I feel like every time I go to Torex I see one for sale on at least one of the tables.... In contrast....lots of other things that command smaller prices are cheaper.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3551 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU ish , genuine .
They are not rare , they are a MONEY coin and readily available !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pacific, I have to 100% concur with you.
there is nothing wrong with the date or the legends.
the most and immediate marker on the date is the 4 alone and sometimes + the 8.
nothing wrong with this one.
Price? 1200-1450? maybe 15 on a good day.
just MO. If anyone wants one, I have one extra.
Netherlands
33 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Agree the 1948 Dollar is overpriced some other topic someone mentioned the 1947ML has a lower mintage and is cheaper, so that makes you wonder. I just was interested if it is fake or not and maybe I can pick it up for a decend price.
Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Gebs - wasn't trying to insult your coin btw! There are several coins out there that strike me as having cache that they haven't entirely earned. I'm not so sure about the 1946 NFLD 5 cent either. I mean, very few were made - just over 2,000 but they seem to be everywhere. There are at least three on ebay at the moment - all priced between $1,300 and $2,400. I do actually need one [that's a figurative need that only coin people would understand] but I'm not willing to pay that much.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3827 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1948 dollar is not the emperor of Canadian coins but is very much in the royal family. It is the "poor man's" rarity, and 'afforadable' rarity and will probably always keep being desirable.
Netherlands
33 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gebs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The final price on Ebay was 230,- about $350 Cad.

To bad some else bid higher in de last seconds
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
are u sure it was 230 and not 1230?
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 795Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05