Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mothballs, Yay Or Nay?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 517Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  08:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stimpy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I store my coins in a safe in a closet. Would it be safe (pun intended ) to put some mothballs in the closet? Not in the safe but just in the closet. I installed a fireproof rope gasket in the safe door if that makes any difference.

TIA
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably not.

Show us pictures of the safe and closet.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52108 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do moths eat coins?

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
10/28/2020 09:49 am
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know if the odor or fumes from mothball effects coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2526 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are reports of mothballs being used to prevent silver from tarnishing. But I would never use them because I hate the smell...
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I would not use mothballs. They stink, and who knows what effect they'll have on coins.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally use a closet de-humidifier and 40 grams of silica in my safe.
Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@stimpy, it is a little unclear what purpose you have for these mothballs. Are they for other items (such as woolen clothes) also in this closet or specifically for the coins?

As far as odors go, my only experience was when I purchased an old numismatic book from the estate of a smoker. I had to air that thing out for months and now even years later still has some lingering odor from the cigarettes. If at all possible, I would try to separate your collection from strong smells.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14307 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do moths eat coins?

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do moths eat coins?

Moth:
MMMMMMMMM...yuuuummmmy coin! The gold is delicious, my precious!
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stimpy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mothballs are for the items in the closet, the safe just happens to be in there too. The problem is stuff that's been in there a long time has a strong musky odor I find quite offensive and washing them has very little effect. It didn't occur to me till just now that I might find the smell of mothballs even more offensive. Guess I'll look for another solution. I have desiccants and activated carbon in the safe with the coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3988 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If the safe has a decent seal on it, should be no problem.

If it doesn't, I would be worried about long term exposure of plastics (slabs) to the aromatic hydrocarbons in mothballs.
Polyetser is not very resistant to chemicals like this ...

Since the airborne concentrations are very low, I doubt that days, weeks months would pose an issue, but long term exposure, maybe.

The coins themselves would probably not be affected.
Edited by tdziemia
10/28/2020 8:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52108 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After photographing them, I keep all my slabs frozen in ice, thinking this will prevent any deterioration.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19844 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although most moth balls smell similar, just as with even water, not all are the same chemically. In other words, play it safe and don't do it.
just carl
Learn More...
Australia
13458 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To answer the question more directly: "moth balls" can be made of different substances, depending on your geographic location. Naphthalene used to be the main ingredient; in North America, this has largely been replaced by 1,4-dichlorobenzene, while in Asian countries, camphor is usually used.

All three compounds ought to be harmless to coins, as they contain no sulfur and do not otherwise react with metal. They will make the coins smell, though.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 517Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05