Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collectors, Share You Heartbreaking Stories

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 251Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What is the worst damage you have done accidentally to a collectable coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2672 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not the worst damage, like I said before you live and learn. BUT, I picked up several Lincoln Commemorative cents, I put the ok ones in albums but saved the best looking of the bunch. As I was getting the coins ready to ship to Anacs, I was taking the staple off the flip and the Lincoln Cent flies out of the flip lands on the towel I had the coins on and then rolls off the desk. I picked it up and went over it with a loop, it looked fine, but there was a tiny scratch that I didn't remember seeing before. Oh well, I doubt Anacs will catch it. Shipped them all off and of course Anacs caught it. Coin was MS 69, went to MS67 (lowest grade of the coins I sent). I can't complain since it was my fault, but "you live and learn"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2672 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more...

My dad collected coins, when he passed away since we didn't get along too well, I told my mom to keep them and I'll get them in the future. After a few years my mom no longer wanted them in the house and calls me and asks me what to do. I told her to keep the silver coins and anything old. She asked about the quarters in the albums, I knew my dad had a State Quarter set, so I told her, you can spend those, they aren't worth anything. A few days later she calls me and says "didn't you say that coins before 1964 had value?", I say Yes.. She goes stop by I found a few more.

I get there and never realized that my dad had more than what I knew about. While going through everything I found a half roll of silver quarters. As I was packing up the coins my mom goes "I cashed in all the quarters, your dad had about $40 in total", I reply "That's great". She goes he had the book of quarters and 2 rolls, I cashed in the nice ones, the ugly ones are in the roll I left".

I have no evidence but my mom may have cashed in $15 of silver quarters. Again my fault for not following up.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll answer my own question and say that I haven't, to my knowledge, ever damaged a collectable coin. The worst thing I ever did was drop a 1964 half dollar in a capsule. The holder was a little scratched but the coin was perfectly fine. That doesn't mean I won't have an accident in the future though; I try to be as careful as I can.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19860 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only horror story about ruining a coin was back when I purchased a 1921S Lincoln Cent in MS-65 grade in a 2x2 flip. I attempted to remove the staples with a screwdriver and it slipped and ran across Lincoln's face.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 251Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05