Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Authenticating This 1948 Silver Dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 569Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there, new to the forum and have been collecting a couple years. I've heard about fake coins and got me concerned about the 1948 since due to the cost. Could I please have an opinion from the experienced here on whether this coin? I don't have a very accurate scale but it flips betwwen 20 and 23g. On one edge nick there's what seems to be a bit of copper coloring (not shown). Some greenish/redish toning. Is the ear OK? Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
36479 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I have little time to play around with other authentic images of 48's.
so please do 2 things:
1 post a better image. (I know it is not all that easy)
2 compare your coin to one of mine (authentic) and let us know what you found.
good luck
H

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First, welcome.

I think this is the 2nd 1948 in the last two days posted here where someone was concerned about authenticity.

It should weigh 23.33 =/- and should be a 80/20 silver/copper coin.

Not my area, but the date, specifically the 9 and 4, are suspect. The ear looks like it took a hit while in circulation. It also looks like the obverse was cleaned.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

@47P7 beautiful example.
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone that responded to this and the kind welcomes. In response 47P7, thanks a lot and a response:

1. I'm posting a couple more pictures of details. It is tough, especially when reducing the resolution to get the picture size down enough to allow posting!
2. I did compare to your photo - the things that seem a bit different are: the size difference between the 9 and 4, and the head on the back paddler. But overall very close. What I'm struggling a bit in making a conclusion, due to lack of experience, is how much difference is there in a given year? No two strikes will be identical if looked at in minute detail, as the dies wear slightly over time, and possibly different sets of dies?

Any further thoughts/conclusions from others is appreciated! Great learning opportunity for me and hopefully others.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1046 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 47P7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ask Mikey to Join in. he will know in 1 second.
at this time I will say a very careful : it is ok.(subject to coin in hand)
I believe there were at least 2 dies around at the time and there were slight difference....
personally I would not buy it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
720 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm always curious why a $600 coin hasn't been certified.....it would only cost $25 or so with ICCS and would put the questions of authenticity to rest.
I notice toning around the lettering but not the surrounding fields. This and the numerous contact marks would put this coin into the VF+ to XF range if it doesn't come back with a qualifier.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1188 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks authentic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1653 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did some research on these three years ago and two of the reverse dies have a distinct die line inside the 9. A third die (or more?) has nothing discernible inside the 9.

Die #1 has a line from about 1:00-4:00. It also has a "notched 4" repunch in the upper right corner visible at magnification.

Die #2 has a line from about 11:00-2:00.

Die #3 doesn't have anything notable inside the 9.

I can't tell from your images, but in-hand if you look carefully you might recognize #1 or #2. Overall your coin looks good to me anyway, but if you found either of these markers I think it would be definitive.

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 569Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05