Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938-D Buffalo Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 647Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  7:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love putting out these grading challenges! What do you think PCGS graded this coin?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us sharper images, please. These are a bit soft.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/28/2020 8:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a very old PCGS holder and my phone camera isn't too good. That's the best I can do so I'll give you a hint: it's better than MS 65 but not as good as a 69.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-66
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-67-67+
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse pic is pretty blurry...the reverse is pretty good.
Based on your hint...
I'm at MS67
smat
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4558 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  06:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the fact you post photos, but I am curious are you holding your phone when taking the photo or do you have it setting on something to be more stable?
I'll say MS66 since photo quality is not that sharp.
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with T-BOP, based on picts. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
739 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, pics are soft...if you'll brace your phone or camera then crop the photos your pictures should improve.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone see a possible D over S ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the difference between 66 and 68 is so ever slight based mainly on minor abrasions and marks. the photos presented a too small and a little too blurry to distinguish those minor marks. the coin appears to be well struck with full feather separation. the cheek appears to be rounded though the hair above the braid is little flat. the luster appears to be unbroken across all devices. on the reverse the horn is full and looks rounded, the fur on the head and back appear to be nicely struck up. the tail looks fully split but a little hard to tell as its a little blurry. there does not appear to be any of those contact marks typically seen on the front leg and body. the hocks look fully defined as well and the luster appears to be unbroken.

i have it MS66 without better photos. imo it may make MS67. its a nice coin
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the blurry photo. I'll be using a real camera from now on. I think I'll just go ahead and reveal the grade. I know you're supposed to wait 48 hours, but everyone is so close that it's kind of a waste of time. PCGS graded this coin MS-66.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
should still wait 48hrs if possible even if folks are chiming in with a close grade. this gives everyone to express their opinion and for newbies they can read comments that may help hone their grading skills.

i think your blurry photo may be from phone movement. try stabilizing the phone between two books and use the timer to take the photo
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52145 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In any event, 65 doesn't surprise me. A number of obverse field marks show even in this soft pic.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, it was probably from phone movement. I'm used to taking Morgan dollar photos so this smaller coin was kind of newer thing for me. I had a hard time getting it to focus, thus the blurriness. Rest assured, I will wait 48 hours from now on. In fact, I think one of my Morgan dollar photos is almost due for a grade reveal.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on your phone and type of ear buds you use you may be able to take a pict using a pair of wired ear buds to eliminate camera shake.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 647Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05