Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

You Vs NGC 1881-S And 1900-P Morgan Dollars

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,042Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53,643 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-63 and MS-65, respectively.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JasonKflo, 81S-64, 00-65
Bedrock of the Community
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Morgan dollar is my favorite coin, and I'm trying to build a complete date set. Obviously, I can't afford a 1895 or 1893 so it'll be lacking some dates. Just thought you guys would like to know that. Every collector has to have a goal.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
9,657 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 81(S) are typically sharp and bold. for strike the eagle breast is tad weak and I would expect the hair above the ear to be a little more defined for this year. the obverse photo is hard to grade from due to the size and shadowing. high end rub across the highest points of the devices and I'm unsure about luster continuity across the cheek and any imperfections due to the photo. to me it appears that the luster is missing on most of the cheek. overall eye appeal is average. if the luster across the cheek is broken then I'm at MS63 otherwise I'm at MS64 on this one.

the 00(P) are typically average in strike. i'd say this one is may be AVG-. the obverse wheat stocks, leaf above the cotton balls, hair around the ear and above the forehead are all a little weak. the breast is tad weak and the lower right wing as well on the reverse. some minor abrasions on the cheek and neck. the luster appears to be broken in a couple areas but this may be attributed to the photos. this one should make MS64

i dislike grading multiple coins on one post so in the future if you can post separate it would be appreciated. typically I pass over any posts that have multiple coins listed
Edited by panzaldi
10/30/2020 11:45 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the luster appears to be broken in a couple areas but this may be attributed to the photos. this one should make MS64

i dislike grading multiple coins on one post so in the future if you can post separate it would be appreciated. typically I pass over any posts that have multiple coins listed

I'll do one coin at a time next time. The luster on the 1900 is quite brilliant; the photo doesn't do it justice. It's really hard to get good photos of coins. You have to have perfect lighting.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
10/30/2020 12:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll tell you what, I'll go ahead and reveal the grade for the 1881-S and leave the 1900 alone so more people will comment. I think many are passing up my post because I have two coins listed.

The 1881-S is Gem MS-65.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1,762 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update on the 1900?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Update on the 1900?

Oh, sorry! The 1900 is MS-64 and the 1881-S is MS-65!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
1,489 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a bit shocked concerning the 81-s. I have a slabbed example that absolutely blows it away in every catagory, and it is a 63.

That reminds me of the time I bought 6 graded 85-P Morgans. All were 64s. All NGC. You could lay them out from worse to best and they were was a serious difference beteen coins of the same grade. What was funny was that for a while I put tape on them and let customers arrange them and guess the grade. The best was consistantly graded 65+ by the public and the worst 62.

My partner used to be an NGC grader and when he came back from a buying trip and saw my little game, having no knowledge before hand also graded them from 62 to 66. When I took the tape off, he was more than a little surprised. He took pics and sent them to NGC, who asked that we stop our little "show and tell" and offered to regrade them for free.

Sure enough the bad one came back downgraded to a 62; one 63, the best 66 and the rest stayed 64s. The best reason I heard was that a large TV seller needed a batch straight graded at 64 for a sale and that was the result. Now, NGC never said this, but my partner told me that it was his understanding this is what happened.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm a bit shocked concerning the 81-s. I have a slabbed example that absolutely blows it away in every catagory, and it is a 63.

I would have to agree with you, but my coin does look a lot better in-person than in the photos. I took them with my phone, so it's not the best. The 81-S has obvious fingerprints on the surface. The coin has NEVER been removed from the holder. Do you think the graders accidentally caused them, or do they not take off points for prints?

I believe my coin is graded a Gem 65 because it has no distracting contact marks or stratches.
Edited by Morgan Nerd
11/03/2020 1:56 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,042Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05