Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Calling All 2020-W Marsh/Billings/Rockefeller Quarter Searchers And Finders

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  7:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired a box of brand new 2020 Marsh-Billings- Rockefeller and pulled these W's out. I don't believe these quarters were ever in circulation for commerce. I believe they went from the mint and went directly or indirectly to the coin rolling company's and then to the banks.

I've noticed this distinctive and similar stain on many (most) of them. I've used acetone on them and it didn't budge!! It looks like it's baked into the surface. I'm thinking maybe it was some type of oil or chemical that originated at the "West Point Mint" and/or used during the minting process. I don't think it's coming off but I'm open to suggestions.

I've looked at thousands of brand new 2020-P's and have not seen this stain. It only appears to be on the W's.

Have any of you guys seen this anomaly on your 2020-W coins? Do you think a TPG'ers conservation would or could remove it?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
1753 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm lazy and go the the local coin shop and buy the America the Beautiful Quarters. They have them in mint rolls. As I pick through the rolls to get the best examples I have noticed A LOT of coins coming straight from the mint with these stains. That's why I search them and find examples without them. I always assumed they were a residue from some sort of rinsing process that isn't fully removed. I virtually never saw this on S mint coins. The worst was Philadelphia. I'm surprised West Point coins have this residue on them.

That's a real bummer to find them in the roll like that. I would have thought West Point would have better quality control than that since they aren't producing billions an billions of coins per year.

I've always assumed it was some sort of mineral deposit. Kinda like spots on your car after it was washed and rinsed with hard water. These are all assumptions on my part so anyone feel free to correct me. If they are soapy/hard water spots, acetone will not remove them. They will most likely be made primarily of calcium carbonate. In the industry I work, calcium deposits are removed by acids and are not affected by solvents. Of course, you wouldn't want to put harsh acid on them, but I'm wandering if you may be able to experiment with vinegar (acetic acid) on a coin you care nothing about with similar spots to see what kind of results can be obtained.

Anyway, I know vinegar is a big no no, but maybe a quick dip and thorough rinse will remove the stain.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jpbone-

Thanks for the reality check. Your explanation of some type of dried residue from a rinsing process sounds very plausible. That's pretty much what it looks like.

I might try diluting a little vinegar. Thanks very much!
Learn More...
United States
92332 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yuck.

A good reason to wish they had offered these as a direct sale from Mint. At least the chance for better quality exists.
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
all the w,s I have found dont have those stains.but ive just found 20 so far
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
all the w,s I have found dont have those stains.but ive just found 20 so far

Were the W's 2020's?
Pillar of the Community
United States
799 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes marsh-billings w.s
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
yes marsh-billings w.s

Can you post a picture of it here?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled 11 out of a box last week, I think only one had a spot on it. The issue I noticed on mine was a small nic on the rim that affected one of the reeds, about half of them had it.

Link for pics. http://goccf.com/t/384905
No close ups of the rim though.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ty- Thanks for that link!

Unless I hear from others, I'm wondering if mine are an anomaly. And where the heck did these stains come from? : (

BTW jpbone, no joy with the vinegar.
Edited by MOS0239
11/01/2020 6:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Webekin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an article, on the spots on ASE, and it was soap not rinsed completely after the cleaning process. Webekin
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Soap? Well, it's baked into the surface now!! : (
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05