Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2015 D Jefferson Nickel Die Hit Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 311Next Topic  
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  2:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Fairly new at this. Finally found a scope and software I like, and this is my first post using it. Can anyone please tell me if the uploaded 2015 D Nickel is a strike/bit error problem (inserted line circular on the right of the front view)? Thank you in advance.

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrapping Machine Damage, we see them all the time.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for being the only one to reply. Thanks to you, I learned something new about these marks today, as a friend swore it was from the bit press. But, now I know that it's part of a different machine in the process, as I have other (older and newer) coins with the same/similar type of marks. I'm guessing that there are other places to learn more about die-bit damage. So, how would you mark the coin cardholder, 2105-D/WMD? Thank you again.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36436 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pic,but needs to be properly cropped before posting. Agreed it is PMD and not worth a 2x2 holder...IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback and your IMHO is greatly appreciated. I overlooked the cropping by accident, as I was more focused on the jpeg size. But, I do appreciate the image being good. Took too darn long to find the right configuration o take pics with my veteran disability shaking. Learn as I go with the help of others such as yourself. I will keep an eye on that for the future posts. I want to learn more and more...just so intriguing and I love history.... Best wishes and stay safe. Off to research other coins....
Learn More...
United States
92192 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Learn as I go with the help of others such as yourself.
It is why we are here.

Quote:
Off to research other coins..
Good luck!
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20881 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm guessing that there are other places to learn more about die-bit damage.

I've never heard of die-bit damage.

Quote:
So, how would you mark the coin cardholder, 2105-D/WMD

I wouldn't. It's just post mint damage. No premium, in fact the opposite of a premium.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
die-bit, hmmmmm......probably the wrong terminology, regarding when the coin is pressed/stamped and sometimes it doesn't go as designed, causing inherent marks and oddities in the "designed" surface appearance, such as double dates, over-stamped lettering, just plain errors in the coin appearance. Thank you ALL for taking the time to happily help educate me. I've have had opposite responses from others which were rude and arrogant, but this site and people have been generous thus far.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52047 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36436 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thrifty_nickel,
Thank you for your service
As to "die-bit" it is just a die...obverse die and reverse die as well as a collar die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome. Thank you for the warm welcome and feedback regarding the type of die being used. I recognize that correct terminology is critically important, especially when communicating with a group of experts. I will learn and I will get better....promise. Thank you again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
528 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  05:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrapping Machine Damage is not part of the minting process, it happens when the coins are wrapped at a bank when they are rolled. Hang around and keep learning!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05