Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Resource For Mercury Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found a merc dime in a roll of wrapped wheat penny's and don't know where to start for research, here is the coin. Is there a reference book to learn the coin and possibly varieties?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4792 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1944 Mercury dime is a fairly common coin even into MS-65/66 levels. As the mint mark is on the reverse, I can't tell if your coin was struck at Philadelphia, Denver or San Francisco. In any case, it's a common coin.

From your image, your example appears to my eyes to be in About Uncirculated (AU) condition.

I think a good starting reference for you would be Whitman Publishing's A Guide Book of Mercury dimes, Standing Liberty quarters and Liberty Walking half dollars. It provides solid background information on the coin, a grading guide and a review of the coin by date and mint mark. It also includes discussion of major varieties in the series (varieties, however, are not the focus of the book and not all currently recognized are included). You should be able to locate a copy for under $25.00.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems Thank you for the suggestions and guidance, including the photo grade of the obverse, as your mentioned, I also have attached the reverse. I do know about full bands enough to know they are not present in the middle. Any guidance on what are considered High points and focal points?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36514 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19862 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The famous Red Book by Whitman Publishing should be sufficient. There are other web sites and even books on that coin but for a starter, the Red Book should do. And yes that middle band is the one that is usually all messed up. For example a 1945 from Phily, with out that middle band is very, very common. With that middle band being clear, the value sky rockets.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
579 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the Cherry Pickers Guide is useful.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05