Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Bad Is My Storage Ideas

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,174Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  01:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't have anything to keep my coins in so I just wrap them up in paper towels and put them in a zip lock bag. Is this an acceptable way to store them?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37140 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paper towels are rough and will scratch raw coins. You would also need some type of decacate (silica).
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3941 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paper towels may have some bleaching agent in them. They might cause tarnish over a long period of time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17888 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paper is OK provided that it is non bleached chlorine free, for lower valued coins that can be stored in contact with each other.
Individual paper packets used to be used by museums for stock coins, but this approach is fallen out of favor.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20015 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not use paper towels for those coins. For one thing they tend to absorb moisture. The process to make them varies from manufacturer. This means you have no control of what was used to make them indicating possible contaminates. IF possible just use lots of small zip lock type bags but find a way for coins not to touch each other.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14590 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do not use paper towels . If your serious in coin collecting then invest in cardboard 2x2 holders , PVC free flips ,snap locks or air tights . Zip-lock bags are good with desiccant packs but each coin must be holdered .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a feeling I was going to get yelled at for that. That's why I asked.
They don't touch but yes I'm sure there's bleach or something in the paper towels. Didn't know that that would affect it so badly.
I am currently unemployed unfortunately so I do not have the ability to buy the sleeves but I will do my best to separate them without the paper towels. Thanks everyone.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have a roll of lamination and sandwich baggies I can cut up would that work?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
535 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend getting some albums and/or 2x2 holders. These aren't too expensive and will help preserve and show your coins much better. Anything that's just worth face value or bullion value can be put in plastic containers.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I will look into it and see if I can find something cheap or someone who already has some they don't mind giving up to a new enthusiast.
I do have a new West point quarter that I want to preserve properly. A few other things also. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3941 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sandwich baggies are safe, as is food wrap. Any wrapping used for food will not harm coins.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought so because they didn't have PVC in them thank you very much.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2020  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeputyMax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2 mylar cardboard holders work well and are cheap. I get 100 for $3.00 from a seller at one of the local shows I go to, but you can get them for a little more delIvered here. 290940350282

I never met a man I didn't like - Will Rogers
I never met a half dollar I didn't like - DeputyMax
Edited by DeputyMax
11/04/2020 5:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get Mylar (NOT vinyl! )2x2 flips or Cowens 2x2 cardboard holders. They sell very cheap and can be purchased in bulk.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add My2cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thank you!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@my2cent, You have gotten a lot of good advice.

1. Paper towels are NOT a good long term solution, BUT they will not hurt your coins for short amounts of time (months, even up to a year). So, don't get too worried. If I am travelling, and find some coins I like, I do the same thing as you, but I get them into 2x2 holders as soon as I can. Sometimes I find them months later, but there is no damage that I can see.

2. If you have a local coin shop, you should be able to buy packets of 2x2 holders for about 6 cents apiece, which is a very good investment to protect your coins. My LCS sells packets of 25 2x2 holders of any size for $1.29. It's hard to find such a good price on the internet. If you are not near a city with a coin store, that might be an issue.

Good luck!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,174Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05