Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hard Holder Coming To ICCS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 973Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2020  4:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I heard a rumour that ICCS was going to adopt a hard holder (or maybe the choice between a hard or soft flip-type holder like at CCCS). Does anyone happen to know whether this is the case or not?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2501 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ICCS Phone: (416) 488-8620
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gangsta to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of months earlier I would have been interested, but these days I'm growing increasingly frustrated with TPGs. I hate all the inconsistencies and the practice of cracking out Canadian ``slabs'' and submitting to the US graders for a better grade and some quick buck. I don't like the plastic barriers. Finally, I don't like all the extra mental pressure TPGs bring (as if life isn't competitive enough! Shouldn't coin collecting be relaxing?). I have now moved most of my coins to Quadrum intercept square capsules. My coins are protected and I can open and close the capsules on demand.

Anyway, I think some people might be interested in ICCS hard slabs (if the rumour is true). Specially for heavier coins, the soft flips seem a bit problematic. Also, while CCCS offers this option (and while I like Louis's conservative and consistent grading), I find their environment rather dusty and, err... hairy (yes, I found hairs inside many of my CCCS hard slabs)!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3276 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is a good idea, but every other ICCS coin out there is in plastic flips..i wonder what the re holder fee would be? If it was cheap enough,, say 10$ It would be a full time job for the next 10 years just doing re holders. I know I wouldn't want coins in both forms, I would want them all the same.
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about any of that - as I say, this is a rumour at this point! And as Wade has pointed out, I can always just call them up so maybe I'll do that....

Pillar of the Community
Canada
536 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They did finally get a website, so you never know. Introducing a hard slab would actually be a good revenue generator as they can make a small profit on each reholder submitted.
Learn More...
Canada
9460 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Source of these "rumours"?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3655 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  10:27 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think Wade says it best , pick up the phone and you will get your answer .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4752 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that I do know for a fact is they plan on putting their population report on their website. As I type this I don't know yet if it has happened because I haven't checked it but he mentioned it to me last time I picked up a submission.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 20 year old collector from the GTA area of Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1734 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  07:45 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard holders to ICCS? Why? They ( ICCS) had the chance when it mattered. I doubt it.
Valued Member
Canada
198 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news about the population report...the last hard copy is likely getting pretty outdated...I like the improvements we are seeing at ICCS
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2501 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hard holders to ICCS? Why?

re-holder revenue stream

100,000+ coins at $20 a piece... they would be idiots not to.

heck, they could even use the original label from the re-submission instead of retiring the UnderWood typewriter currently in use.

Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard slabs make wonderful hockey pucks. Immediacy matters in collecting. That's why raw will continue in popularity. Just become knowledgeable. Be able to grade confidently and be aware of what buffed, polished, cleaned, whizzed and altered coins look like. I am tired of the TPG mafia.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 973Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05