Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Now A Counterfeit Loonie With Security Feature

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,328Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
56 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bond632 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious as to what leads people to think that this coin is counterfeit? Looks like a regular loonie that someone took a sandblaster to. On the toonie, the bears paw and certain digits are obviously different, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary that would point to counterfeit on this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5758 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only sure-fire method to determine authenticity that I know of is to have the coin sent off for 3rd party grading and verification. Unless I had a bet on it I wouldn't waste money on it.

The coin just LOOKS BAD but remember we only are looking at pictures.

The granular surfaces, the lack of sharpness in the border beads and lettering screams "something ain't" right with this coin. Most likely, if you looked at enough other Loonies you would probably find similiar coins with the same problems.

Until the coin is subjected to further examination I still lean on the side of it being counterfeit based on what I see.
Valued Member
Canada
204 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  02:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps this old article will show the rationale of counterfeiting...and remember a counterfeiter's cost for the raw material will be far less than the mint's where uniform quality and checking are a significant cost the mint faces

The Canada Gazette says the current coins cost about 30 cents each to produce, while Kim says he's been told the new loonies and toonies will cost between four cents and six cents a piece. Jan 13, 2012
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
he size and details of the border beads, the trees on the island, the jewels in the necklace, and the details in the security device do not look correct. The sandblast effect may come from casting- are the "sand" particles raised from the surface, or are they incuse? The counterfeit $2 show evidence of a black metal under the surface.
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  01:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is evidence of black (lead, zinc, or tin) on the reverse where the surface is disturbed, and black shading on both sides. The letters are a little irregular, and the rims do not look accurate.
Valued Member
Canada
457 Posts
 Posted 12/22/2020  01:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsnpaper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paisa, Do you live in the Toronto area? That is where the counterfeit $2 coins surfaced.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05