Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1879 One Dollar/Need Info

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 434Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Younosabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey if anyone could give me some information on this coin would be awesome.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1481 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A poor counterfeit of a Trade dollar.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Younosabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17040 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor quality fake. A "one glance" fake.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52135 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrible fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
574 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Horrible fake
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19856 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contrary to others I think it's a fairly decent fake.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17040 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2020  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is...if your INTENT is to make a bad fake, in which case they did a good job of it.
Gary Schmidt
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredm2654 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So from a newbie's perspective, you know what would help 1,000 fold? a few more words what each observed to make the conclusion 'obvious fake', 'bad fake', etc.

What stood out?
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dieuwer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many things are wrong with it. Let's see...

1) Wrong position of branch
2) Fat stars
3) Wrong date font
4) Wrong angle of "Liberty" ribbon's end
5) Idiotic "ninja turtles" eagle's breast plate
6) Wrong, partially missing text font on reverse
7) Missing berries
8) etc. etc. etc.
Edited by Dieuwer
11/21/2020 5:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4277 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fred, In a case like this (and in a lot of cases of Counterfeit Detection), the easiest way to tell is by just comparing a known genuine example to this one. The stars and eagle are probably the easiest thing to point out, they look comically bad. Eventually, you can get a "feel" for counterfeit coins, where you can tell if a coin is genuine without even necessarily knowing what the original coin is supposed to look like. Things like inconsistently weak devices, grainy texture, or soft and undefined devices are all dead giveaways for a cast counterfeit or poor quality fake coin.

The coins that are difficult to spot as fakes are usually so good that it would be hard to tell from pictures alone. Things like weight, well captured close-ups of die markers, or XRF analyzers would be some of the only ways to clock a well made fake.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1653 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fred, for me, my eye was immediately drawn to the pebbly texture on the arms, face, neck, and olive leaves. No US mint struck coin looks like that. Next, the flat areas below her butt and leg and all around that area, completely missing any detail. Next a quick look at the reverse and that cartoon of an eagle, and I decided "fake" in a total of less than 10 seconds. Taking a second look, the large missing chunks of letters on the reverse jump out. On better fakes, I would pull up an image from Heritage and start comparing smaller details, but this one is just garbage. I'm no expert but I've looked at a lot of "is this real?" posts over the years and learned from them.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredm2654 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all... your input was NOT in vain as I will take the noted points and do some homework. Yes, I kind of guessed comparing to a known good specimen is part of the solution - what I will do now is make that comparison. I can only imagine how 'far off' is a gradient - from "even I can see it" to something that you all may see easily bit I will struggle with.

This helps a lot.

Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Younosabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05