Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting 1979 1c Pre-Mint Damage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 461Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9371 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  10:25 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is quite fascinating. Either the rolling strip itself, or the blank was cut with snips and a small 'pie' of metal removed (possible for testing?). This damaged blank was put through the upset mill, as there is a small Blakesley Effect (best seen on reverse), then struck. The rims on both sides dovetail nicely. Weight is 3.01 g. Surprising that this coin circulated a bit as well.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9371 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to be sure, I have solicited the opinion of a few error experts who have seen corner clips and other sample cuts made in US coin strips/blanks. I'll share what they have to say when I hear.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8179 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Who'd have known the initialism PMD had another meaning.
I could imagine unintentional damage to the strip or blank.
But testing?
Why destroy a planchet and then strike it?
What are the odds it's as a result of playtime at the mint?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
11/19/2020 11:55 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52124 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting for sure. Let us know what you find out!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1835 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im not an expert but having knowledge of how metals flow during a stamping precess I would agree this has the look of a genuine error,
although if I found this in a roll I would have chucked it, the thought of this being and error wouldnt even have entered my mind whis makes this an amazing find! good eye SPP!!
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1094 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I have had a similar 1974 penny that I pulled from roll hunting. It is a little bit rougher but definitely looks like it was snipped or sheared somehow. Also see what I think is a small Blakesley Effect.

Valued Member
Canada
433 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the cause of this 'Blakesley Effect'? Haven't heard of that before...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1835 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is the cause of this 'Blakesley Effect'? Haven't heard of that before..

it is caused from not having enough material to fill the die when coin is squished into the coins design
picture a coin shaped piece of Plasticine but its missing a chunk of the edge now squish it between 2 coins but all the raised features are the opposite incuse (like the die would be)
as you squish it it flows through the valleys of the design untill you run out of material it will then taper off and not be able to be pushed into the design
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (click link below, you DO NOT need a facebook account to view)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
also you can see my collection of 1859 die pairs here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...47995&type=3
Learn More...
Canada
9371 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Diamond said this about my coin (from an error forum):

Quote:
"This is a planchet flaw, but it's not pre-strike damage. This is a fissure that opened up in the coin metal strip during rolling. The facing beveled edges are characteristic of such fissures. As such, these errors should be underweight. The bevel presumably emerges as tensile stresses pull the metal apart."

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1094 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, mine weighs in at 2.94. It looks similar, but yet different.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 461Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05