Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help To ID Joseph Moreau Merchant Countermarks On Silver Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 160Next Topic  
Valued Member
Poland
229 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  11:52 am Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

I am posting this pair of well circulated Halfcrown-size silvers. I bought them when I was living in Montreal around 10-15 years ago. At the time, I just liked that they were two punches from the same countermarker, and that they gave a little glimpse into the mix of circulating silver specie in the mid-19th century (judging by wear, look of the punches, the introduction of provincial / federal issues, etc.) in Canada / possibly the N-E USA.

They appear to be two punches from the same merchant / craftsman, one on an 1817 British Halfcrown reading "JOS MOREAU," and the other on a Bolivian (Potosi mint) 1778 4 Reales reading "JOSEPH MOREAU / JM / JM."

I have tried researching them quite a few times over the years, and turn up little or nothing (I unfortunately don't own a Brunk, but I have looked in my Gavin Scott cat of British c/ms, and he doesn't appear there). I'd like to know if anyone can find reference to this person, or these countermarks - any leads or info would be hugely appreciated.

Learn More...
United States
17731 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nor, I'm going to move this thread over to the tokens area of CCF as that is where many of these counterstruck coins get posted. I'm hoping that @exoguy and others can weigh in with their thoughts.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Poland
229 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  08:15 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, thanks for that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 160Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05