Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Books On Modern Prices For Different Eras Of Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 257Next Topic  
United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  3:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orkneycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

New to coin collecting and would really appreciate advice on what's the best books to buy for prices of coins for different eras. I have been recommended the Mega Red Book for American coins.

Does anyone know a good book for Ancient Greek or Roman or Islamic coins?

I own Sears "Greek coins and their values" volume 2. I really like it but it doesn't tell me a 2020 price for coins.
The book was printed in 1978. Could I just go on the Bank of England inflation calculator from 1978 and just use that as a guide? Or is that a silly suggestion? lol

Thanks

Valued Member
Poland
305 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a professional coin dealer with a library of over 500 books (some rare, some not) - I buy virtually any book that I can get my hands on at a reasonable price if I can confirm two things:

1. It is an easily located reference (for instance, auction cats are useless if they cover a wide range, I need a specific subject). General refs (such as Krause) are an exception if they meet requirement 2.

2. They indicate relative scarcity (I just need a listing of varieties and their relative scarcity, indicated by value or R ratings).

The actual value of the variety or type, I ascertain by means of ebay sold listings and other vendor ask prices. If I can't find the specific coin at hand, I use my library to ascertain relative rarity and index prices accordingly.

As for ancient price guides, the SEAR books are good, dirtyoldcoins.com has a decent listing of general types, and the National Museum of Poland in Warsaw has printed a good guide of their collection which is cheap and has proven handy many times for me. The other books I have are 'rare,' and thusly expensive (unless you find a deal).

Always be on the lookout for good cats - I certainly always am - I make it a point of bringing a specialized one back from every country that we vacation in... Has proven a very successful policy, much to the shagrin of my better half ;)
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
11/20/2020 4:40 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17902 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always done my best to 'buy well'.

Use an old respected comprehensive value guide, and combine that with eBay records and recent auction records to adjust the book value for the particular coin you may be interested in.

I have Krause World Coins covering the last four centuries, and Coincraft for English and British coins from 1066. MA Shops is good for European Medieval, and Coin India is good for current pricing on Indian coins covering the last 2,300 years. I still use a 1970 edition of Charlton for Canadian coins!

I have all copies of Sear for Greek, Celtic, Roman Republic, Roman Imperial, Greek Imperial and Byzantine
for comparative pricing with time adjustment, and then I look at VCOINS for current market values, including for Islamic coins. Also for Islamic coins, have a good look the the Stephen Album website - he is arguably the most knowledgeable Islamic dealer, and has written books on the subject.

I look on line at current auction catalogs before attending view days for the auction.
It is at the view day that I submit a single written fixed priced bid for any lot that I may be interested in.

Spend a lot keyboard time doing coin and price research.
My strategy:
1. Do your coin and price research first.
2. Examine each coin in hand first, consider the grade and make your own grading adjustments on that grade before considering to buy or bid.
Learn More...
United States
18317 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2020  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also for Islamic coins, have a good look the the Stephen Album website - he is arguably the most knowledgeable Islamic dealer, and has written books on the subject.

I would echo @sel's comment above about older Islamic coins, but at least my old copy of his catalog doesn't have prices.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
9 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orkneycoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the information.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 257Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05