Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 D Lincoln Penny Burst Marks And Inner-Edge Line Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 181Next Topic  
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  3:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to all. I hope you can please help me with this one. I've looked around online and asked some folks who couldn't make heads nor tails of this. I'm hoping my mentors can do so....I have a Lincoln Penny (anniversary 2009-D), OBV attached. It has what looks like (near) equally spaced perpendicular burst marks around the edge from about the 10 o'clock position to the 3 o'clock position. Looks almost like it would if saran-wrap was placed over the top of a can and pulled. In addition, the inner edge line disappears around the area of the Mint mark until almost to the last "T" (of TRUST) on the right side. Any idea what these are indicative of, and what they come from (possibly two different reasons?). Are they possibly a result of hard pressure OBV-die hit-marks. Please provide feedback when possible. Thank you in advance
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2544 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  06:02 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like metal flow lines from an aging die. The die was simply wearing out and the continued striking of coins just makes them worse. These are also referred to as Late Die State (LDS) and when they get really bad, Very Late Die State (VLDS) coins. If you search on these, you should find lots of information.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

United States
39 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the insight....so much to learn...so, with that situation, it's probably pretty common. But, since the REV is a Lincoln Anniversary (Log splitting - Indiana?), good to keep for the Anniversary set?
Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As the two dies meet, the coin blank is loosely retained in a collar. Ten thousands or so to allow for slight expansion. These are most likely flow marks caused from a variety of factors. Slightly smaller blank, improperly retained collar, pressure, ect. A great question though, Welcome!
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback and education. Since it is a Lincoln Memorial penny, I think I will just collar it with LDS on it, and keep it with the others in making sets. Suggestions are always welcome. Thank you and please stay safe!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 181Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05