Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1961 Franklin Half Dollar Proof X 40

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 475Next Topic  
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  09:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RexKramer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
inherited 40 61-63 Franklin Proofs in sealed plastic sleeves. These were purchased from Blanchard back in the 80's and they confirmed I have proofs but grading back then was sketchy at best and they'd have to see them. Their offer on another purchase made by the deceased was horrendous so I'm on my own.

Here is a picture of one of them sleeved. I know about bell lines and many of these you can see all 6. I dont want to bust one out just to photo it or should I?

Also, what the best way to sell 20 of these? Ebay?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these proofs in a proof set?
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These appear to be in PVC which has left residue. If so, they are not going to bring much more than melt. The packaging adds no value so you might want to remove one and take more pictures.

1960s Franklin proofs don't bring much unless cameos, and entire 1961 proof sets only go for around $20-$25.
Edited by John K
11/23/2020 2:37 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RexKramer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are mostly 4 coins per connected plastic sleeves and some 2s. Here's a batch laid out. They where sold as proofs.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53574 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do any of these show evidence of PVC residue (typically a greenish stain)?
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RexKramer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, they all look brand new to me, but you guys are the experts. I'm learning. Ive got franklins and kennedy's that say MS-63-65 proofs in those hard plastic roll containers that has been taped closed for who knows how long. And those I can see some of the edges appear oxidized or darker.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14594 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it looks like the pockets with those coins were sealed in that page . All are Brilliant proofs no Cameos . On your first photo of the 1961 there is an issue with the right side of obverse field which could have been caused by the plastic sleeve . I don't think you'll be getting much money for them if you try to sell them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
658 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
61-63 Franklin proofs go/sell for about $20 - $25 each in perfect condition at coin shops... less if you hunt around.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
887 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to check for this....

Pillar of the Community
United States
2345 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting accumulation. A close, careful look at each is suggested.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RexKramer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, yea so I have a stereoscope I use to use for work and unfortunately I cant mount a camera on it. Just dug that out to look at 61's and no double stamps. Many have intact bell lines but thats it. Gee thanks, that was kind of cool looking at those under that much magnification. You KNOW what kind of time I'm going to waste now :-)
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
proofs don't get the bell lines designation - since they are proofs, most are very well struck. All they get are CAM or DCAM if cameos.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RexKramer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John. Learned alot today. I'll see what my brothers want to do. I have some slabbed gold coins to post when I can get some decent pics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
676 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've done well on ebay selling by the roll.
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have some slabbed gold coins to post when I can get some decent pics

If you look up the certification number on the slabber's web site, there is usually a high quality picture you can use.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 475Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05