Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running Ads To Buy Gold Or Silver Coinage

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 510Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever done this? What was your experience? I'm mostly interested in Gold American Eagles. The surcharges on these seem to be a bit over $100 a coin at reputable dealers and was wondering how successful I might be in cutting out the middle man if I offered to buy at spot + $25-$50.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4116 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of several LCS in my area and they don't pay spot. I'd say if you are offering at least spot price you are in the game.

I had a friend back around 2011 that rented a small suite in a strip mall, he was undercutting all the local places by paying around 90% if I remember correctly and still making good money. He had to hold gold for 10 days and was filed with the local police in case anything had been reported stolen.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
11/23/2020 3:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only issue I can see is that you may buy a counterfeit item. If you are willing to take that risk, than go for it.
Valued Member
United States
379 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrpapageorgio to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only issue I can see is that you may buy a counterfeit item. If you are willing to take that risk, than go for it.

That or something stolen.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3658 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure to comply with all local bylaws and business licence requirements .
Also note there are numerous security issues involved .
Generally speaking not a wonderful idea . That said ....Good Luck .
Valued Member
Canada
205 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind too that counterfeits are much harder to spot and more numerous now than a decade ago....
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My local bullion dealer pays spot - 2% for a Gold Eagle. I think that is reasonable. He sells the Eagles at about spot + 3%.

Quote:
Has anyone ever done this? What was your experience? I'm mostly interested in Gold American Eagles. The surcharges on these seem to be a bit over $100 a coin at reputable dealers and was wondering how successful I might be in cutting out the middle man if I offered to buy at spot + $25-$50.

If you want to pay spot + $25 you have to switch to Krugerrands.

Edited by NumisEd
11/24/2020 11:01 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1494 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We buy gold at spot minus 10 percent. Silver at 17 times face.

90 percent silver is the safest bet. As there is very little counterfit out there. Morgans and Peace dollars are being conterfited more and more. Gold even more. YOu really need to have the proper equipment to test your gold. Whether using the machine or file and acid.

You will deal with people who KNOW you have money to buy gold and silver. So theft is always a possibility.

In Ohio we can not even buy if we suspect that the customer has stolen, or is under the influence.

Good luck, don't meet them at home, go to a nice safe location, like in front of the Police department and make sure no one follows you home. These are things dealers deal with all the time.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4116 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My local bullion dealer pays spot - 2% for a Gold Eagle. I think that is reasonable. He sells the Eagles at about spot + 3%.
Nice, I don't think the popular national refiner even pays that. If I were to sell I'd seriously be asking you for specifics! Typical spread is usually 20% with an LCS.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Edited by fistfulladirt
11/24/2020 6:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on the weight:

Quote:

This is close to what my LCS charges and pays.

Edited by hfjacinto
11/24/2020 7:16 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 510Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05