Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1/2 Annas 187* Inidia British

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 481Next Topic  

Poland
33 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  2:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BRaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! :)

Today I would like to present my favorite type of 1/2 anna 1875, 76, 77 calcutta and bombay mint coins.

It is very difficult for me to get them. Even in vf this coins are rarely seen and in states above cost a fortune.
Mine coins I think in F/VF.

Do you have them in your collections?
I would love to see them! Share please.

Greetings!

Robert

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17909 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2020  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a dozen or so 1/4 Annas of various dates Victoria - George V1 - all in Red Uncirculated.

The 1/2 Anna denomination must be relatively scarce. I don't remember having sighted an example in any grade.
Valued Member
Poland
306 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  02:56 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BRaj, nice little quartet you get there - yes, they are a tough denomination at the best of times, and here in Poland I don't think I've ever run across one. You will have more luck in the UK, as they were sometimes brought back in pocket change.

@sel_96l, 1/2 Annas of both title varieties (Queen, Empress) were minted in comparatively minute numbers versus the 1/4a of virtually all dates. This is not to say that the mintages were small (millions), but they were not struck in the 10s of millions as were their little brother. They were also a 'workhorse denomination' which saw extensive and lengthy circulation, and being copper minors, not many people at the time put them aside (unlike the ever-popular Rupee).

All in all, an underrated set - good luck building it!
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Poland
33 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  03:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BRaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You for your response, yes 1/2 anna is scarcer than 1/4, especially 1/2 anna 1875, its price in the case of VF and above is a knockout. Finding 1/2 anna 1876 in XF is also practically impossible (I think I saw one at an auction once). 1877 is more popular, although I want to find it in good condition, it's also not quite a challenge. But I especially like these large coins, when you pick them up you feel the weight of a century and a half.

@norantyki in Poland, you can also find something interesting, I bought the last two from 1877 not so long ago in Poland ;)Have You interested in British India coins too? Share your coins if you have one.

Robert

Valued Member
Poland
306 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  04:26 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BRaj, my personal collecting interests don't involve India, but I am a dealer, and am currently working on putting a batch of British India coinage on my website (strange coincidence that this thread should pop up). Ive always found the Victorian coinage very attractive - familiar but exotic.Below one of the items that I've just finished processing.

Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
11/25/2020 05:59 am
Poland
33 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BRaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@norantyki thank You, for sharing your coin, British India Victorian rupee is beautyful coin. My collecting goal are copper and bronze coins of British India they are more exotic even then silver ;)
Can You give me a link to your website?

Greetings,

Robert
Valued Member
Poland
306 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  03:38 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BRaj - I can't post it here (against rules), and you appear to not receive emails through the forum, but if you click on my profile, there is a button 'my homepage' which links directly to it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1708 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2020  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shame - they are such nice coins and their size really shows off the designs.
The big collection that sold a few years ago (that was mostly illustrated in the Stevens and Weir book) probably didn't have UNC examples of all of them.
Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
401 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coins. This is my 1889 1/4 Anna NGC MS 65 RD that I got at a live auction in Korea. I love these old Indian coins.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2402 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2021  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BRaj
You might be interested in my own ongoing "India" collection. The bronze / copper coins are here:

http://diadumenian.com/Congressofpr...20coins.html

I just noticed I have a lot of tidying up to do with this page!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2173 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BRaj...Very nice coins and a tough denomination to pick up in decent condition as they can become very expensive!
I ran a thread a while back you might find interesting?..
http://goccf.com/t/330350&whichpage=1
Here's one of mine 1862...
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add econrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1877 1/2 Anna. Picked this up many years ago.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17909 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Half Anna seems to be scarcer than the 8 Annas denomination.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05