Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading By Eye Only (No Tools)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 404Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How accurately would you be able to grade a coin without the help of a loupe, a Hastings Triplet, or an enlarged photo? Just using your eyes at normal distance to the actually coin in hand?
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, grading should be done with the eye only (glasses and contacts okay) if eye appeal is paramount, and for me it is.
Valued Member
Poland
301 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the grade range - the threshold for grade ranges is looser in the lower grades (ie: expected dings, etc). It also depends on the type of coin - more crudely struck ancients have a surface as well as detail qualification to take into consideration. So... I guess my answer is: it depends.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3654 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It used to work really well ........ 45 years ago !
Loupe now mandatory !
In all seriousness , TPG use loupes so should we all .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3947 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For far sighted people, you can't grade at all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8073 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I grade the way I was taught, by an Ex NGC Grader. First you use no magnification, generally your first impression of a coin is most accurate. After you've formed an impression based off that then you use magnification to examine fine details (on a mint state coin to determine final grade) or to check if a coin is a counterfeit.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
First you use no magnification, generally your first impression of a coin is most accurate.

Quote:
use magnification to examine fine details (on a mint state coin to determine final grade) or to check if a coin is a counterfeit.
I cannot argue against that advise.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems nobody has answered the question yet: How accurately would you be able to grade a coin WITHOUT the help of a TOOL (e.g. loupe, etc.).
For instance, you have a small cent in your hand and you look at it at a distance of about 6 inches from your eye. Can you distinguish between MS63 and MS64? Or only between say AU and MS? Or not even that and you can only do say between Fine and AU?
Edited by NumisEd
11/25/2020 2:22 pm
Valued Member
Poland
301 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dieuwer - in a way we have all responded succinctly - it depends... Your question is far too vague to illicit a specific response. As per your follow up example - I would be quite inaccurate without assistance on a classic US type in MS grades, but between fine and AU or AU and MS (but not always, as I tend to be very strict with MS grades) I would have no problem with. This being said, grades of Canadian, Commonwealth, British, French, German, Spanish or Polish UNC coins, I could probably nail within a couple of points either way (owing to volume handled)... It largely has to do with an intimate understanding of the history / minting process, or circumstances for each. Perhaps others can clarify based on that follow-up.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
11/25/2020 2:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14608 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on you present eye sight . When I was a young collector I had no problem grading without magnification . Now at 71 , I need high mag plus my reading glasses under bright LED lights . Go figure .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1978 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything circulated very well, otherwise it would be hard with grades of Mint State.

I like to think I grade well and fairly.

Sorry to caress my own ego - but coin grading is something I am a student of and a passion. When I get bored I go through random coins and grade them.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17161 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  02:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With practice I would say accurately up to at least MS-65. Above that I would think would be questionable without at least a low power glass. Especially at the 68, 69, ad 70 level.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
937 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely into the lower MS range. Which I've done before and it came back one point lower than my own estimate. Probably could have nailed it with optics, but I don't own any.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 404Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05