Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Led Ring Light With My Celestron USB Microscope

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 511Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  8:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everybody, I am testing out a new LED ring light from Amazon that I received this afternoon. So far no glare at all, but you have to brace the stand or it will tip over in the position displayed in the picture.

3 color modes and 10 brightness settings with this model.

This is the model I purchased below.
https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Brigh...C216&sr=8-13

Edited by the_sifu
11/25/2020 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3317 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2020  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see some picture of coins taken with the ringlight vs the onboard LEDs?
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37280 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  04:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14650 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks great for selfies , not sure if it will be good for photographing coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can we see some picture of coins taken with the ring light vs the onboard LEDs?

Eventually, yes. I am still playing with the settings for toned and untoned coins last night.

FYI, I still work for a living and I have a family. If I like it for coin photography, I will keep it. If not, it either gets returned or repackaged as a gift.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Synozeer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be interested in seeing results from this as well.
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My testing picture results for the ring light below. It will be re-gifted.

The ring light is great for untoned shiny coins. But very poor for copper, bronze, and fully toned coins.

The on-board LED lights from the Celestron are great for close-ups ONLY. The Celestron on-board LED dimmer light is a real pain in the ... for taking pictures of the entire coin.

Shiny coins, warm light setting - Ring Light

Warm light setting - Ring Light below

White light setting - Ring Light below

Myself using a rectangular LED Lamp light below

Warm light setting - Ring Light below

White Light Setting - Ring Light below

Celestron on-board light closeups

Celestron on-board light

Celestron on-board light

Edited by the_sifu
11/29/2020 12:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37280 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I Like the " my self" pics best.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3888 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing...I won't be buying..thanks again for saving me a return...
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add the_sifu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Synozee hey there

Quote:
Thanks for sharing...I won't be buying..thanks again for saving me a return

Thomas Edison - I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Synozeer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey hey :)

Thanks for posting the pics. So far I've just been dabbling in coin photography. I'm waiting on the new macro lens by Sandmarc for my iPhone 12 Pro. Once I get that I'll start working on some photos and see if it's doable.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more of a fan of individual lights because they can be moved around to eliminate any shadows. You can also use a range of different light bulbs to help get the photo you want.

Joe
Valued Member
Australia
499 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the_sifu - you have ESP. Was just looking at these on EBay. Will be using a Canon SLR with macro although none of my coins are in mylar flips so may help. Am in the process of threading a 1/4" rod to use in conjunction with a laboratory retort stand and boss head to hold the SLR horizontal at any given height. I like the idea of having light projected in a ring from all angles however even with the diffuser it seems from your image that the light is still projected mainly downwards (an inherent issue with LEDs). This may also be why your darker less reflective coins don't photograph so well as the light is too dim in the centre. May still get one to try but am also thinking strip LEDs on the inside of a cone section would be better in order to throw the light into the centre. Maybe time to hit Fusion 360 and design something. Might dismantle and cannibalize the ring as I like the ability to change the light tones.
Thanks for posting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05