Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Dollar Bill Reid Missing Paint From Roll.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 875Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1366 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly it can be done with an aceton bath. So even if legit to me it isn't worth it.

I wouldnt buy a coin without the paint(design).

On the other hand I would by a coin with the design on an other denomination or obverse or rotated displace by a 3 or more mm
Edited by Castor sous
11/26/2020 08:56 am
Learn More...
Canada
9461 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That eBay seller is a modern coin roll hunter, certifies lots of stuff with ICCS, to sell. I have friends that buy from him often, and he is reputable eBay seller.

So, while the odds are really low to be missing all three colours, I do believe this dealer found that coin. However, as mentioned above - it can be reproduced with 5 minutes of acetone work (I tried it myself, and also tried to have that auction removed) - and therefore is not an 'error' that I put any value on.

If it was missing 1 or 2 of the 3 colours, then I would consider that to be an error to have value.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53718 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, this would be easy to fake.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2503 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unless I found it myself I wouldn't believe it.

crazy high bids
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do believe it can be found in a roll, but sadly no value.

I found a 2019 D-Day toonie that was missing the dark green under helmet on each side of soldier's face. I was happy.

This add should have been remove. Realy sad for the winner and all those who bid on it.

Edited by Castor sous
11/26/2020 3:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17902 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a coin error.
Deliberate post mint damage.

Acetone to the rescue again!

That's my very obvious assumption, and the seller would need to provide me with incontrovertible proof that is is genuine, to have even the slightest chance of selling it of me.

Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This item is now removed from Ebay listing
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3277 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This item is now removed from Ebay listing

No, it is still there, scroll down when the page loads.
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oups. You're right.
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
S someone payed $360.88 for it or it was stoped.

its a $358.88 dollars profit, 19700% profit not bad.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2203 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have chemicals that can remove that paint in thirty seconds flat without damaging the finish on that toonie!
I would never buy such a coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3319 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that it's actually "paint" that is missing .... it's a sticker or decal. I've heard it called a "pad", but to me it's something just essentially glued on.
Edited by okiecoiner
11/27/2020 8:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4654 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These colour coins are pad printed om the coin, at a RCM master club meeting a few years ago at Fort York got to meet a RCM chief designer, and asked him some questions, the colour coins are all sent to a US firm to do this process
Valued Member
Canada
86 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Castor sous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are pad printed, three layers I Think, white base, red and black last. Heat dried....

I saw a video lately on this axact process, but I don't remember where I click the link.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2203 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pad printed with paint or ink.
Edited by darryldarryl
11/27/2020 9:34 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 875Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05