Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Please With My 1995 Lincoln Cent Error Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 310Next Topic  

United States
0 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  11:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shexiedawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is a mint error. Nice find.

MOD's please move this thread to the right forum.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5492 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It's called a MAD - misaligned die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4380 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mcshilling, this looks like an off center strike, not a MAD, since it affects both sides of the coin.
United States
0 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shexiedawn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MOS0239 Well thank you for your comment. This is my first post here ever. Although I scan and read forums. I have had this one since I started coin collecting @ 2016 but Ive studied it and read forums and books and read all the great coin experts knowledge out there. When you say mint error can you explain to me exactly what you mean. Ive thrown my hands up with my testing my knowledge I have self taught my self. I just really want to know whats up with this coin that is always lurking in my thoughts somewhere through my day. Id appreciate to hear what you have to say about it. Thank you for noticing my post and my cool coin I acquired some where some way years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MOS0239 Well thank you for your comment. This is my first post here ever. Although I scan and read forums. I have had this one since I started coin collecting @ 2016 but Ive studied it and read forums and books and read all the great coin experts knowledge out there. When you say mint error can you explain to me exactly what you mean. Ive thrown my hands up with my testing my knowledge I have self taught my self. I just really want to know whats up with this coin that is always lurking in my thoughts somewhere through my day. Id appreciate to hear what you have to say about it. Thank you for noticing my post and my cool coin I acquired some where some way years ago.

Mint-made errors are errors in a coin made by the mint during the minting process. Groups of coins with distinctive characteristics are known as varieties. The term variety applies to coins with both intended and unintended differences while the term error refers only to coins with unintended differences.

Your coin is unique (a keeper) but not particularly rare or valuable.

It's good you're reading and studying coins. I'm not an expert. Most of us here (I'm guessing) are not experts, just self-taught. I can not articulate exactly just how or why this happened to your coin. Others here can.

Think of the minting process like an industrial factory. A lot of industrial machinery and equipment with a lot of moving parts. *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. ***

It just takes time, practice and training your eyes what to look for.

You could probably spend several years reading all the NON-errors posted on this forum. After awhile, you will get a good feel for what is damage ( PMD) and what is a true mint error.

Good luck.
Edited by MOS0239
11/28/2020 5:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MOD's please move this thread to the right forum.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2608 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Your coin is a mint error because it was incorrectly struck outside of the retaining collar with the planchet between the dies, but not centered. It should be slightly larger than normal as it's broad struck, in addition to being about 10% off center to the K:6 position. The features shown here make this a mint error because it would be impossible to duplicate outside of the mint using common tools.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
11/29/2020 08:53 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05