Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Advice Sought On A Very Old US (Make That U.c.) Two Dollar Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 254Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
133 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2020  2:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone out there ever heard of THE UNITED COLONIES? I never knew that the moniker THE UNITED STATES was born of a British royalty sanctioned and exploited --yet to be disowned - forebear. Yet I find it enshrined in once precious currency . I learned from these notes, today. It leaves me to wonder what meaningful instructional fun waits yet to be found in my embrace of this hobby - half from instruction. Please, if you are able, instruct! Note the date: 1775.

On 10/14/2020 silverstash119 posted: 1776 PHILADELPHIA 6 PENCE. I found his/hers while roaming the community. It's a fun post to visit, especially if one happens to own related items. I retrieved mine - unseen for many decades.

@silverstash119 responded that s/he forked over $229.00 for the note. I found that interesting. More interesting was his/her purpose in posting. @silverstash119 sought opinions as to whether or not S/he should increase his/her investment in his/her acquisition (pay to have it graded). I saw no encouragement, no discouragement.

I have two specimens, therefore I'll do two posts. I'll tag both with the same set of questions. I more than assume that there are experienced currency collectors hereabouts. I'd love every scintilla of guidance I might glean. Forgive, please, my use of plural herein. I plan to post a sequel related to a second owning.

Are these of interest to currency collectors? How interesting (create and use a scale if it will serve)? What kind of grade would an experienced currency collector award this? Should I invest in a TPG before my disposal (soon to happen)?

These measure approximately 3 in. by 3.5 in.

I'd really love to have a few of my questions above anwered. Not many I send to this community are. I'll upload my four d0llar U.C. note separately as instructed.

Kevin
Edited by Kcm
11/29/2020 9:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2991 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job of steering, SteveInTampa. Thank you. I signed in to study all I could of the three pages. I'm half convinced these justify sending to a TPG.

The closest match to either of mine is a note of the same denomination as my second posting ($4.00 there as opposed to $2.00 in this one). The auction piece is dated the tenth of May, 1775. It sold for $111.00 five years ago. Mine is dated May 9, 1776. The signatures are of different men. The inking on the auction piece is superior to mine. Is the auction instructive?

It would be obvious to anyone with my two notes in hand ($2 dated 19th of May, 1775 / $4 May 9, 1776) that the Philly printers (Hall & Sellers) radically downgraded the quality of their paper stock over those 12 months. My learning marches forward. How, I wonder still, could a layman like me arrive at a grade estimate suitable to weigh into a decision as to whether holder one of these? Coins seem so logical in comparison!

By the way, the note imaged above is a victim of light distortion, not stained. Its hue is consistent front and back.

Kevin
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05