Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Advice On 2020/2021 Supplies?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 740Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm like JBuck, I picked up the low cost flips as the quality seems to have changed for the worse on all. I also use the BCW binder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by hfjacinto
11/30/2020 2:45 pm
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome hfjacinto! That is pretty impressive, do you buy flips online? If so, can you please share a link to those as well?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RATS! I do have advice.

Call me "uninformed."

I faced a similar (if you'll allow) problem. I did not inherit; I bought -- a large coin collection half a century past. I rejoined it for the first time three years past. Quite a few albums, I must tell. In those three years, among other interactions with the coins, I have managed to strip at least a dozen albums naked, exiling the empties to a cold corner, while modifying one -- so far.

Why did I strip so many albums? I did so because I regard the albums themselves to be obsolete. They mark a bygone (for us) age of accrual.We have accrued. That's our problem! They once served to enhance an adventuring collector's relationship with his coins. They served as a display of that adventuring in relationship with fellow collectors.

What did I do with the coins I pulled? I put each in a 2x2 enroute to my modern-day album. I could easily store these in a box, but a BCW three ring binder sheet (cost: $0.19 on Amazon) holds 20, My BCW sheet goes into a three ring binder ($2.00 at Walmart. I store six to eight sheets to a binder. I will store eight penny sheets, but never eight Ike dollar sheets. Two dollar binders have weight control issues.) My coins never go completely out of my sight (that in sight aspect is the lure of albums, so I preserve it ). If new information about a coin variety reaches me, extracting, reexamining reinserting 2x2's is safe and simple. I pay two and one-half cents to replace any I destroy. Many of my scrapped albums reveal minor unrepairable damage.

Here's my salvation: I give each 2x2 a penned serial no. That serial no. lives in a computer spreadsheet column. (Digital spreadsheets cost next to nothing). In the column next to the serial number reads what the album will offer beneath the coin: 1945D or 1953S etc. - that's all the album offers except, perhaps, a back cover mintage number printout. I don't bother, but loading that column or any other would be a cinch. My next columns record grade, condition, maybe last PCGS auction price and anything else relevant. I keep backups on inexpensive thumb drives.

Why did I keep one album (so far) intact with modification? This was because my assessment of bygone album value is not the "absolute rule of law" in coin country. As I went through my complete Walking Liberty half album researching data for spreadsheet columns, I came across data (unavailable half a century past) that warned a few coins need lives of their own outside the albums -- outside Dansco AND outside my substitute for the old albums. I bought replacements which lacked these errors and varieties off Ebay and reassembled the Dansco.

When need comes to wrap my mind around what coins I have, I view my spreadsheets wherein columns return much more of my stored hard won unlost info than any pretty album ever could. meanwhile back at the 2x2, a few of them also have a note or two of info hen-scratched onto them that would defile a pretty Dansco.

You did say, "., even if it something I mentioned and you can make me look at things from another "side" of things. Anything is greatly appreciated." Did you not?

Kevin

Edited by Kcm
11/30/2020 5:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the flips I purchased, they are flimsy but work and for putting in a binder they work:

These are the pages for the binder:

I've also purchased these, they are a little better, but like others have stated the quality hasn't the best lately.

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add simplysavage922 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both Kcm & hfjacinto! You are definitely right Kevin. I love to hear what others have done. You never stop learning. And thank you for the links hfjacinto. I will take a look and see what I can come up with.
Learn More...
United States
94627 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...dust particles all over them when they arrive which is bad for the coins.
This is a common problem and the best thing is to keep a can of compressed air handy. The same stuff we use with electronics...

https://www.amazon.com/Dust-Off-Com.../B01MQFCYW0/
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...That serial no. lives in a computer spreadsheet...

Which works until the computer 'crashes' and all that data is lost. I have FOUR dead computers sitting in my garage and HUNDREDS of 'floppies' full of (mainly) all the family photos taken over the past 30 years or so. I'm hoping to someday find a way to grab all those pics and various historic data (like expense sheets of all my coin purchases since 1995) to put into CD's.
Even then, I've heard CD's and DVD's are on their way out too, so who knows what the next 'gimmick' might be.
I've learned to now put copies of almost everything to old fashioned paper.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For binders I just use recycled trade sample catalog binders with four rings. Four rings are needed to support the weight of a page that is fully loaded with coins.
They cost me nothing, but are perfectly suitable for the purpose.
If you are lucky, similar can be found in office supplies stores, if you have to buy them.

Not keen on 'push in' coin albums, or those with clear slide bars, where abrasive dust can scratch the coins.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the information that relates to each individual coin is written on the cardboard Mylar flip that holds the coin.
No need for info to be stored on a computer.

If I need to move a coin from one section of the collection to another section, all of the information relating to the coin travels with it. One of a number of reasons why none of my coins are slabbed. The fact that you can't write extensive info on a slab that relates to the coin is another.
To find a coin, all that is needed is to arrange your collection in a way that makes sense to you.
Edited by sel_69l
11/30/2020 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2952 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which works until the computer 'crashes' and all that data is lost. I have FOUR dead computers sitting in my garage and HUNDREDS of 'floppies' full of (mainly) all the family photos taken over the past 30 years or so. I'm hoping to someday find a way to grab all those pics and various historic data (like expense sheets of all my coin purchases since 1995) to put into CD's.
Even then, I've heard CD's and DVD's are on their way out too, so who knows what the next 'gimmick' might be.
I've learned to now put copies of almost everything to old fashioned paper.

Off topic, get an external Hard Drive. I copy everything on my laptop to the harddrive once a week so the most I lose is a week. If its important I copy it over that day. I have a TB drive that cost about $100. I lost a few photos when my last laptop crashed, but I had the photos in the camera so I just downloaded it again.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
133 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kcm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read my reply, @atticguy you may notice my closing comment: I integrate a backup thumb drive.
Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add msl2196 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@atticguy External (USB) floppy drives can be found pretty cheaply, and they still work on modern PC's. I've used one on a Windows 10 box.

@simplysavage922 I personally don't use Danscos, as they expose coins directly to the air more than a flip would--and also are hard to get coins into and out of without touching the surfaces. Mylar flips are cheap and offer good protection (that's what I use personally), but it seems like you're trying to get away from those--so I'd say cardboard 2x2s in a binder are the next best bet...
Learn More...
United States
94627 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which works until the computer 'crashes' and all that data is lost.
Backups! Backups! Backups!

People, please, backup your data in multiple places! I use a rotation of three external drives, kept in separate locations.

I have data that is over thirty years old now. Many of the original systems are long gone, but the data survives.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 740Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05