Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Circulated Fine-Vf 1955 P DDO? Or Something Else

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The pics are different colors because I could not load some stacked photos so I used the photos RAW, hence the more yellow look. This coin is not the major or other CP variety from that year, but I was not able to attribute and therefore think its Machine Doubling, but the pictures are not conclusively pointing that out. Please take a look and if there is any guidance on how to analyze, do share. Thanks for looking! UPDATE: I think this is 1955 DDO-010, 10-O-V-CW.

Edited by shantiom
11/30/2020 01:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37206 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  04:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it is not the variety I identified. IGWT, the G and last T, is that PMD. The devices look extended rather than shortened or vice verse.

@coop, is there a poster you have on the issue of PMD suggesting doubling when the appearance looks like an extended device. I may be off base in thinking that but it informed my conclusion this may be a DDO.

Also is extra thickening a CLASS V?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47858 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several different types of thickening on doubled dies. But the ones on the 1941 dies that had an issue with a class 7 doubled die:
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=lds

Quote:
Variety made using a Full 'T' hub over a broken 'T' hub. This variety shows a portion of the first hubbing on the top of the left side of the horizontal crossbar of the last T in TRUST.

But on the 1955 cent dies they were way over used. The is the strongest DDO that year: (Die 1) Also die 002 is also interesting as it looks like die wear, but is a DDO:
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/...ie_state=mds
But like your coin, they pretty much looked lie that. Contact marks will flatten the devices and alter the shape. There also an issue because of the excessive usage, that altered the devices towards the rim area:

They will appear like this. But as the die ages that last 54% of the dies coins will show this extreme die wear, so they are common.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4611 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a DDO but amazing photography! Keep hunting!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. varieties and errors
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @Coinhunter27, the photos were taken using a system Ray built. Great system!

Also, can anyone take a moment and look at the G in IGWT, and help me understand how the upper part of the G looks like it was split, there is no shelfing. Is this wear on top of PMD?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37206 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The G looks like wear and a hit along with debris on the coin,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John1!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05