Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbie Alert Needing Help And Guidance

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 370Next Topic  

United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rossiboy81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good day all.

Hopefully this message is ok to place here but please move if admin team feel another section may be better on the forum....

So I am looking for a piece of advice on the following advert we have posted on ebay this morning.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collecti...AOSw9rJfxLIv

So I have created the add for a series of british coins but have no idea the value or if these coins are even collectable.

So the story is my grandfather has recently passed and we came across these coins.

My mother threw a wobbler stating they are worth a bit of money- Not to gamble on an auction site...

So could anyone advise if I'm making a mistake putting on ebay and what should be realistic to get for this lot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collecti...AOSw9rJfxLIv

Any feedback would be great.

Regards

Ross
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4250 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the Forum from across the pond.

I might recommend taking the coins one at a time and looking them up on eBay to see what they've sold for recently.

Someone that knows more than I should be along shortly.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rossiboy81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Chafemaster.

I mean for sure if they were worth some serious cash I would spend the time doing this but I cannot imagine we are talking mega money for these!!?

But I'm guessing of course.

Im thinking if a collector would like a healthy addition to their collection this may be worth a punt.

Will keep an eye on here to see what any other forum members think.

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the links you posted I would say stay away. Just because of the no return policy. But thats just me, and I know nothing about British coins
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rossiboy81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Keith,

This is my advert.

If it were to put people off for no returns I could take it off but not sure why you would want to return anyway!?

As stated happy to take advice from the collectors!?

Pillar of the Community
United States
893 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for being less than cheery on the post.

The current sales strategy is likely aiming you towards a very minimal return. Not many buyers are going to pay top dollar and then have to do the research themselves. Buyers will pay higher market rates for good pics of identified coins. This listing is the laziest thing you could post as a wholesale lot, and minimal bidding will reflect your minimal efforts. No returns further limits buyers willingness to spend. If accepting literally anything regardless of how low that might be, you are on your way to achieving that.
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Edited by Collects82
11/30/2020 2:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
513 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you are missing anything valuable there, and I fear even at 0.99 you may not get a bid. The bulk of 20th century and late 19th century coppers are scrap metal these days. (I take them by the 50Kg bag to the scrap man every year or two.) There are a very few dates and varieties that go for more - If you have any pennies in there dated 1950 or 1951, they would be worth withdrawing and selling separately. I would suspect the shiny ones there are all 1961 and later, probably 1967, and these are scrap even in perfect condition.
The Churchill Crown is also exceedingly common - they made millions! I sell them at 50p each on my stall, and even then only rarely. Some dealers ask as much as 1 for them, but you are very unlikely to get more.
Sorry to be a disappointment!
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1999 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by the Staff to remove unnecessary commentary. ***

I haven't looked, but my guess is the coins are Bronze pennies and Cupronickel minted after 1947 in average or poor condition.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
United Kingdom
4 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rossiboy81 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses guys.

Based on what some of you suggest I may as well just pull the advert.

I guess my relatives collected these coins believing one day they would be of some value!!

Interesting thoughts but thank you for the responses,

At least we know we are not planning our next holiday..

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
532 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the responses above are pretty spot on and I too would agree you'd be unlikely to find a buyer. The opening bid of 0.99p plus postage of 3.50 means you'd need to find someone willing to pay 4.49 for what you're offering and I'm afraid the coins in the photos are not worth that. Sorry to be adding to the bad news, but you were right to enquire. It would've been awful if you'd parted with a valuable family collection for a few pounds.

Edited by Hogarth
12/01/2020 03:46 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
195 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately it doesn't appear as though there is anything especially valuable there - most seem to be coppers from 1930s onwards and, unless you get lucky and there's a 1950 or 1951 then there's nothing of value in that set. Even the Victorians seldom have very much value unless in extremely good shape (unless, again, you get lucky and there's some rarity in there).

Still, post a full list of what you have and I'll do my best to help.

@Princetane your reply came across quite rude and unwelcoming, this isn't really the sort of environment we want to create is it, ostracising new people?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 370Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05