Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2014 D Jefferson Nickel Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 300Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  3:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again to the CCF family and friends. Hoping everyone's turkey day went great and non-Covid. I come to the group today regarding a 2014 D Jefferson nickel. I have attached the OBV and REV photos. I have compared them to others online and those at PCGS, and it appears to be something awry when one looks at the REV "UNI". They are clearly touching as in writing, but the others do not, nor the other online references (including ours). Also, the second "O" in the word Monticello appears to be oddly shaped, even depicting a shadow around the bulged areas. So, the upshot is......what do you folks make of it? Does at least the "UNI" appear to be something we have not encountered before?

Thank you in advance for your help. Always open for feedback.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20013 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clearly they are touching. Never noticed before. Now I'll have to go look.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "UNI" being connected is normal. I see no problem with the "O" either.

Perhaps one of our real experts may see something but I do not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1673 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Normal

Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the feedback, but I've looked at many examples of mint uncirculated at PCGS and even on our site here, and there are clear and distinct ends to the letters when you look close enough. Mine do not...they run from one to another....please look at the references or even others close up and I'm sure you will find the letters are not supposed to do this. Now, am I saying it's a mint issue?...Not necessarily....this could happen by being in circulation I suppose, but those three letters are the only ones by coincidence. One would imagine that the worn down look would appear elsewhere too? Please do this for me and let me know....i know I can't be seeing things...Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3841 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just pulled out a 14D, 15D, 16D and 17D from my coinstar bucket...all are touching
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I yield to the floor of CCF members and let this drop. I hope you understand I wasn't arguing about this, but only trying to better understand where the comparisons' were coming from used to determine the final finding by the group (vs the ones I used). As always I think you each for your valuable time....and.....on to the next. Stay safe out there. ~ jake
Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...5c-fs/524443

you can see here on PCGS, they touch, maybe some Die Deterioration to make them look a bit "more touching"?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05