Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 D Wheat Penny With Reverse Machine Doubling Please Confirm

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 142Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
268 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  2:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Couldn't find this variety. So I'm making sure its not DDR.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37236 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You nailed it...MD
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47869 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the devices are reduced smaller than the normal size. Note what you are seeing as a shelf? That is part of the normal device size. All the outside edges are affected by reduction.removal of the normal contour that was there and not is damaged by the machine. On a doubled die, the devices are enlarged in the centers of the devices. Note the side by sides of a normal set of devices and the enlarged in the center devices of a doubled die.

Spread is what makes a doubled die. A device altered on the outside edge is Machine Doubling.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TY COOP. question, if there is very little to no spread, how would I know if it is a doubled die. I think the only way I can tell is by the spread until I get the hang of it
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TippyCanoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel like coins that are in rough shape it's difficult to tell. It seems like ideally you need to find a coin in relatively good shape in order to see the details clearly
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47869 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is too minor, little interest will be shown. When you look too hard to find something, then it is not a real worth doubled die. (I still save them) But they have to be strong and see with a 10X glass, before a true error collector to even consider the coin. The larger the spread, the more in demand they are.
Even strong doubled dies can take a while to figure them out:

These are examples of two different dies. While on this area they look the same, but slight differences is what you have to pick out. But on different ares, the doubled die are real different.
Same dies different areas:

So spread is different between different attributed die numbers. That is why all areas of the coin devices must be an exact match to be from the same die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 142Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05