Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For People Who Collect Coins From Belgium

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community

United States
109 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  7:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I collect predominantly world coinage and have had a hard time deciding weather or not to keep a dutch and french text example of each coin, I just wanted to get the general consensus.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
3,947 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a type collector, and I collect both as the differences in wording seems fairly significant to me.

But like any collector, you can make whatever rule you want that makes it seem "complete" to you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you say that keeping those older british pennies with no ind imp and with them would be worth for you?
Bedrock of the Community
Poland
303 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  02:02 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am actually a specialized type collector of high grade ( NGC slabbed 64 or higher) pre-euro Belgian (forerunners, rump state, and Congo) coinage. I consider each language / language order a unique type. I also have an overdate of each type to accompany them (if I can get one without paying too much of a premium).

As per @oriole, its up to you though - it depends on how general or specialized you want to be. Belgium is a bit of a rabbit hole though, as there are simply so many varieties / overdates / patterns / commems to get, so maybe bear that in mind as well.
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
12/02/2020 02:02 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
490 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  02:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with most responses in that I collect both language text coins. At least the Belgians seem to produce them in equal quantities unlike Croatia with their Croatian and Latin texts.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
2,726 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
too. Both languages for me, but then I'm not a type collector. I want every denomination for every year.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Bedrock of the Community
Russian Federation
3,319 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd probably try to get both unless one of them is significantly rarer (which, I believe, usually isn't the case for Belgium). As far as I'm concerned they're obviously different types.

Now, in cases like South Africa where there's like a dozen "different types" that differ only by language, that's harder. (...I don't recall offhand if there are any such cases other than South Africa.) Though as long as it's a well-defined limited set I might well try to get all of them anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
7,945 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect one of each from Belgium.

Note that only one version was struck of the silver 1960 50-franc coin commemorating the wedding of King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, with the legend in Latin. It makes one wonder why they couldn't have used Latin for every coin...
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
3,947 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numisrob, here in Canada we use Latin/ bilingual legends so there is only one type per year, and that seems a more sensible way, in my opinion.

I suspect that in the case of Belgium, politics was involved.

Mind you, some of the older banknotes were issued in French and English, and the ones in French are quite a bit rarer.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Makes you think why the couldn't have created the language of "Belch"!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4,190 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Belgian collection has neither French nor Flemish legends

(and why haven't our Belgian members weighed in on this question?)
Edited by tdziemia
12/02/2020 7:26 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 311Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05