Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade Of 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 344Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think the coin looks pretty nice. The seller has it at "Extra Fine", but I am not so sure about that. I think it is closer to VF30-35. Your thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse photo is pretty blurry, but it looks like a safe VF-35, and might make XF-40.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53718 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at VF-35 as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1772 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed on VF-35 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
681 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 35, 40 on a good day.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1001 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say XF. Detail is complete with high points flat
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure is pretty!
The pole, where it crosses the arm, is worn
a little too much for an XF grade.
VF-35 sounds about right.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1727 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Add me to the VF-35 camp. It has nice eye appeal for the grade.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
37 1/2 tweener
Pillar of the Community
United States
9547 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might make XF by modern grading standards. Traditionally I believe it would be VF+.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The pole, where it crosses the arm, is worn
a little too much for an XF grade.

Is the state of the pole in Seated Liberty coins the typical "make-or-break" point with respect to VF to XF grading?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you can focus on one single point on any coin that will reliably differentiate grades. You really need to assess multiple areas on both sides.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9665 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Zurie. too many times I see folks on here looking at just one marker for a grade determination. usually a newbie. the entire coin must be taken into consideration, I've seen XF40's with the pole not complete. in fact just look at photograde and you will see just that.

i have this one VF35
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21767 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 straight grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05