Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Grade 1940 Lincoln Wheat Cent Woody Lamination

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 470Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  5:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
5056 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice woodie.
I don't see any lamination though.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is lamination or alloy mix issues the cause of the wood grain patterning, if the latter, I stand corrected !!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53521 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wood-grain appearance is an alloy mix issue, not related to laminations. No lamination seen here. Grade very difficult to evaluate from these pics guessing EF or low AU.
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog What about the pic can improve for photograding?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53521 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it matters much from a value standpoint. It's pretty clearly not uncirculated, and so worth very little except possibly to a collector of woodies.
Pillar of the Community
United States
902 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can improve the photo by increasing the contrast and using a solid color background. A non-solid background increases the size of the .jpg, which means you have to compress the .jpg more for it to fit within the board's 300k limit, and increased compression takes away details from your coin.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I said something about this coin on another post. The "grain" direction—as I perceive it—seems to be at different angles when flipping a coin over for with coin alignment instead of medal alignment?

Doesn't the direction of wood grain have to match obverse and reverse?

I am not positive that I am seeing the grain direction properly on the reverse due to picture quality, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to disagree with Bruce...but I'm seeing little wear on this cent and just a few hits on the reverse with the left wheat lines a little mussy...Makes it a slider to me AU/MS

Hope BadThad jumps in
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numiscrat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I retract my previous statement. After working my way through those pics again, I realize I was incorrect about the 1940. I thought the grain was running the other direction. I made a pattern out of glare and spots. I believe they do match. Sorry.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53521 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please disagree with me any time, I encourage it. I am no oracle. I just don't see any evidence of luster or sharpness that would suggest close to a mint state coin in this case.
Edited by Coinfrog
12/02/2020 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
864 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyway I'd guess an ef-40 on this, just for reference.
My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6911 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's keep the posts on one thread please. Staff should refer folks to your other thread in the variety/error forum.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
12/03/2020 05:39 am
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nickelsearcher-will do, also should not be posting two coins in one post.

@nick10-thanks for the feedback on background, I trust white or black is lowest byte of memory.

Here is a link on digital image compression, it focuses more on scanning, but people here can geek out and learn more! https://www.scantips.com/basics1d.html

thanks everyone for your engagement!

Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinFinder5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade this a MS 61
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16759 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very slight wear, does the coin cartwheel at all?

AU-55 - It's a beautiful example of a woody, for that I give it WG-64!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
12/03/2020 11:53 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 470Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05