Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Frankenstein ~1964-D 25c Errors Unseen Before For Me.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PileOfCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First and for most thanks to all of
You in this community you all have helped me for years.
This is my first post.
I've never needed to because you guys have found anything I have and it's helped me more than you know.
But... I've got me a Frankenstein of 1964-D here.
I've never seen such a complicated mess.
It's beautifully ugly.
I will say this before I start to name all these things I'm finding and asking for your assistance.
After finding all these things on the coin I took a picture and duplicated it and made one a negative transparent and I turned the one picture clock wise a 1/4 tune side ways.
It really did seem to land in some key spots in questioning but I just don't understand any of it.
So the list.
Obverse- Has a double in the In God We Trust.
Second it has a heck of a die crack from his eye socket that goes threw his skull out the back of his head and under the T and ends at the rim of the coin. Hence the name Frankenstein.
Third has a nice large die crack on the lower part of his neck that extends past the front of his lower neck and it ends on the back side of his lower neck.
So not a lot but a few on the obverse.
Now the Reverse if it don't confuse you I'm baffled.
Obverse- start at the eagle head. Has a die crack from his beak that runs threw his skull out the back of his head and ends at the left wing.
Going to start right wing and work around.
The end of the eagles right wing has what looks to be an impression of leafs, probably not since there is die cracks idk.
When you get to the Q.U is where stuff starts to get weird.
A die crack begins in the middle right wide of the U and goes threw the Q into the point of the eagles right wing where it splits in different directions hence leafs possibly? Prolly not. This crack extends up threw the wing which majority runs on the outer ridge of wing where it finally exits at the IT and stops at the E in United.
Back into the Q and out of it. It has some impressions of possibly something that never got removed. Run from the center of the Q out of the upper right and right side. Between the Q and U the photos just wouldn't come out but there is three spikes coming out of the outer left of the U
Next is this phantom impression of a leaf or pre existing end of a feather. It's directly above the left side of the U between the two leafs.
The next spot is at the top right of the R, there is Three very visible lines that come down from the branch it's self. No idea what they are.
Next is the D. I've never seen one like this so not sure but look almost like it has 3 D,'s on top one another I have no idea.
There is a spot I may have missed taking pictures of but it comes out from under the left wing and comes to a point just in front of the R.
Next is up under the right eagle feathers to the left of the eagles right leg. There Is 3 straight lines the width of tail feathers that drop from the feathers and end at the arrows.
They are super faint but figured I'd list them.
Just to the left of that at the end of the arrows I a right angle corner of a square. The only thing on this coin some what similar is the arrows. Which if you turn the eagle sideways you actually line some of the issues up but Iive been looking at this coin for like 8 hours so I stopped.
So that's what I've got you guys. Any idea what is going on here?
Any thought comments concerns etc please feel free to give me any input.
I truly would appreciate it.
And if more photos are needed I'd gladly take more.

Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the die cracks seem legit, but the doubling isn't, the 'doubling' is MD, as evident by the flatness and the fact that the 'w' in we is 'doubled' on both the east and west sides, amazing die cracks, no doubling of the letters or Mint mark. As for that extra leaf, possibly a die gouge, but it doesn't line up with the other leaves. And everything els appears to be PMD. Hope that helped!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37206 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I agree and in a nut shell,it is silver value only.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53659 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sharper (and fewer) pics would help, but I lean toward this being fairly normal.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2611 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF! (or at least to posting!)

lots of die cracks, some die polishing marks and Machine Doubling. The coin looks to be in wonderful condition and I would put it in a 2x2 and put it away. I don't think it will ever have much value above melt, but it's an interesting example!
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2366 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta say, nice die cracks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05