Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Kind Of Collector Are You?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,373Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
952 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I know I'm not that new here, but I just thought i'd provide this as a way for new collectors to find out what kinds of collectors there are.

Personally I am a bulk world coin collector.

What about you guys?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37273 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mainly Lincoln Cent Varieties, but I dabble in most areas of this forum.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
94606 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My primary objective: Dansco album filler. I have six major holes left to fill in three different albums. I also have ongoing circulation issues in what I call my "ultramodern" album and non-US coins in several Dansco albums with vinyl pages for 2x2 holdered coins.

Other objectives: PCGS graded Ikes and NCLT issues from the US Mint.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MiguelStacks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been stacking bullion, Silver eagles and maples, 90%. I try to stay away from the gimmicks, like Disney Coins. But I do collect some nice themes I enjoy myself, like the queens-beast series.

I am however now interested in shifting a
little bit over to finding coins and sending them off for grades. Even newer Silver eagles Or Some Proof Coins. I need to learn more!! thanks everyone!! Miguel!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an error and variety collector. I've never built an album or collected a full series of anything, but I do have several hundred major mint error coins, lots variety coins and a few dozen rare coins that caught my attention over the years. I also have lots of proof and uncirculated sets, dating back to the 1950's, from searching for variety coins. My best find was in 2000 when I found a Cheerios dollar. I hoped it would be worth a few bucks someday, but I never expected it to be worth more that $100 or so.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
2733 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paper money collector. I sell buy and then sell most coins to fund my paper money buying. I do like to keep large silver world coins (i.e Central and South America)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9388 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several subcollections

- US type (7070+)
- OFEY (One from each year, 2020 back to 1498, etc.)
- OFEC (one from each Numista country)
- Gold and silver stack
- Crown-size coins
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9294 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collecting well over 40 years, I have shifted from mostly US coins to exonumia. I especially like medals of my favorite historical heroic people, places and events. I like coins that are larger than dimes and cents, probably because they are easier to see at my age.
I collect some commemorative coins and ephemera that compliments my collection.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11273 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@pepactonius

How do your OFEY and OFEC collections overlap, or do they? I'm assuming it doesn't go as far as a complete OFEYEC collection.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a hoarder. Many series of U.S. (several complete), multiple world coin series in the works, civil war tokens/store cards and countless medals. And that doesn't included the hundreds of coin tubes full of cents through dollars. Yeah, I'm an addict.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9388 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do your OFEY and OFEC collections overlap, or do they? I'm assuming it doesn't go as far as a complete OFEYEC collection.

There is overlap. Every coin with a date after about 1450 is in the OFEY collection, and every coin is also in the OFEC collection. You can see the OFEY selections in the "How far back can we go?" threads. If we ever do another "Yacko's World" thread, you'll see the OFEC selections.
Valued Member
Poland
309 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  03:12 am  Show Profile   Check norantyki's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I am primarily a dealer, and thusly buy to sell, I also have a high-grade pre-Euro Belgian type collection (forerunners, rump state and Congo), an accumulation of pleasing British coins, a world note collection, an accumulation of model Pennies / Halfpennies, a collection of Douzains Contremarques, and an accumulation of medals relating to Montreal. At the end of the day, I love acquiring numismatic knowledge, and so I seem buy more books than coins these days ;)
Dealer, collector - Coins, Banknotes, Watches, Stamps, Antiquities - Norantyki.com
Edited by norantyki
12/04/2020 03:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17914 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am an OFEC** typesetter.

** C= Culture and / or Century, covering the whole of numismatics.

My aim is to tell the story of numismatics since the invention of coinage, 26 centuries ago. I have never deviated from that aim in nearly 50 years of collecting.

There are very beneficial advantages to such a collecting strategy;
1.: I am never short of a really advantageous buying opportunity, for acquiring a very nice coin for a bargain price.
2.: I have learned a tremendous amount about the development of numismatics from it's beginnings, and as a result, have also learned a tremendous amount about World history, different World cultures, political movements over the centuries, economics, art and geography.
3.: As a result of the above interests, I really enjoy TV docos on these subjects, and learn even more. My learning curve has always been steep.
Edited by sel_69l
12/04/2020 05:38 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somewhat similar to @pepactonius... I have 4 main World Coin subcolllections:
- Kingdom of Poland and Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth c.1070-1795 (with some nearby Pomerania, Silesia, Courland and Livonia sprinkled in)
- Duchy of Brabant c.1160-1790s
- Duchy of Lorraine c.1170-1750
- Coins with images of Christian saints

The first three had started as type coin sets, but I am now using these four collections to build a "limited OFEY" 1474- c.1800 (since the principalities in 3 of the above subcollections end around 1800). For 1507-1688 it is mostly Poland, but more mixed for the last 100 years.
Edited by tdziemia
12/04/2020 08:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2950 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a goal setter. I set a goal and then work to complete that goal. I have both paper money and coins.

My coins are of completed sets (like small cents, bison nickels, pretty lady taking a stroll in the sunshine) and in US currency I have a type set of notes from $1-$20.

I have a set budget and if I can buy the coins/notes under that budget I get them. If I can't I skip that collection.

Lately I've been working on a slabbed IHC set and picking up coins when I can get them at a good price. Otherwise I get the notes that I want (like colonial currency).

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20023 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a collector of almost anything. Just a bad habit.
just carl
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 1,373Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05