Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Washington DDO Query

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 267Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello again to the Modern Coin CCF family. Could you please have a look at the attached images of 1982-D-Washington-OBV? From what it looks like, compared to other sources is some type of planchet slip or OBV DD. This is by comparing the lettering pressed up against the rim (top and bottom) and all the terrible fat doubling of In God We Trust, and also of the mint mark. The REV seems to look normal. My understanding is that the OBV issue was eventually identified at Denver and fixed for subsequent coin production. I know 1982 quarters are good to keep anyway, but does this make it even more desirable for me to keep? Feedback? Thoughts?

Oh, and something else that seems inconsistent, is whether Washington's ponytail should be touching his neck or not? Might make for some interesting interaction....

As always, I thank you in advance.

Edited by thrifty_nickel
12/04/2020 1:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
955 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly adds another talking point with the coin, as well as the die break in the 'D' mintmark.
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for replying. Ah...okay, so that is a OBV Die break?...Still learning...forever. There is just so much to learn, and so incredibly fascinating! So, given that, should I keep this one with the other 1982s and 1983s I have, but place this in a holder indicating the die break, and anything else?

I'd love more feedback and communication from you, and possibly other forum members. I find this a fascinating era of the Quarter.

Thank you again.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47940 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the head there is coin wrapper damage. The design looked like this that year. The master hub was swelling outwards. Note how the devices are into the rim area. This was fixed the following year with a new master hub:

How much larger the head and other devices are on the 1982 quarter? This issue was take care of on the following year. If they would have fixed it during the year, there would have been a large and small date issue. But they waited till 1983 to change this out.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!! I did note the head shading and bulge appearance, but didn't even consider that to be a wrapper/mint issue. And, I certainly did not have that image of the hubs and dies to consider. But, I get it. I do understand it. I believe I may have even mentioned it being addressed the next year, but I didn't have a clue of what "it" was as the issue being addressed.

You folks are fantastic! So, any suggestion for when I keep this with the other 1982-D's, what should I place on the holder to accurately annotate it?

Thank you for the feedback and images. I have copied the Hub/Die image for future reference.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont think 1982 or 1983 are worth anything unless they grade ef or better . let me know if I am wrong
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing that I can muster from it all is that during 1982-1983, there were none offered in official United States uncirculated sets. Additionally, we have discovered this production has the Mint Mark Die break, and the master hub swelling. Oh, and Washington's head there is coin wrapper damage. Still learning.....
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47940 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save them in BU on both years and mintmarks. The coin damage makes this one a spender. In those two years, if you wanted a mint set, you had to go to the mints to buy them from the mint. So they mint sets are fewer those years and most who are completing books like to get the BU coins from a mint set. So if you be OBW BU rolls of these, snag them. (Most are unaware of the previous information) This one is a spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thrifty_nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay.....thank you for the additional insight. A spender it is then.....
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 267Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05