Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your Opinion On A 1872 Seated Liberty Half Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 308Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was do you think of this 1872 Seated Liberty H10C? Not just grading but overall appeal?
The rim has a chip at the reverse, which probably makes this coin Details. So, high VF Details or maybe XF Details in my opinion. But the overall look of this coin is not bad.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2700 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with high VF or XF details from the rim ding. Not sure what that curved line is next to the shield. The toning is somewhat splotchy, and there are a lot of circulation marks on the surfaces, so not the most attractive for the grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9542 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF Details with a lot of honest circulation wear over the years. Might even straight grade as a VF25 or so. The piece is not close to XF IMO.
ANA #R3154474
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53420 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High VF details (rim issue). Shame.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF, but it might straight grade. half dimes get some leeway in grading because of their small size. It isn't worth enough to warrant TPG grading, though. It clearly circulated quite a bit, and has an appropriate appearance for the grade.

EDIT: The circular mark rings a bell. I don't have my Blythe guide handy, but I think it may be noted as an attribution marker. It isn't the 1872 DDO.
Edited by fortcollins
12/05/2020 6:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
EDIT: The circular mark rings a bell. I don't have my Blythe guide handy, but I think it may be noted as an attribution marker. It isn't the 1872 DDO.

What attribution marker are you referring to?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9632 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35 details.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What attribution marker are you referring to?

There are several known die pairings for 1872 half dimes. Other than the DDO, they don't carry any premium. IIRC, the circular die gouge or die crack is one of the identifying marks (attribution markers) for one of the obverse dies.

Basically, it's nerdy stuff, but useless for valuation or grading. It's the stuff that excites those of us who just have to identify every minute variety, just because.
Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't seem to find this "circular die mark" on this coin...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2700 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Zurie, you beat me to it. Here's another example, with the gouge much less prominent, and obscured by more wear. I think it's just a die polishing gouge. It certainly doesn't have any added value. It's just one of dozens (maybe hundreds?) of similar things on coins of this era.

Valued Member
United States
370 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it's not a scratch on the plastic holder?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2700 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2020  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it's in a 2x2. A thin film of mylar wouldn't cause a mark like that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 308Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05