Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

National Bicentennial Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 313Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
185 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  4:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all.

Not sure this is the right place to post. I have 12 of these medals, six in silver (color) and six in gold (color). The accompanying COA does not say what the coins are made of. My brother's notes say "gold plate" and "sterling silver". I have found some similar if not same coins on EBay and some are described as sterling silver and gold-plated, but most are not and are listed or have a starting auction price in the $10 to $50 range. Does anyone have any definitive knowledge about these?

Thanks.

Bill
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5061 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone have any definitive knowledge about these?

Yes! Please have a look at a previous post of mine about these medals.

ARBA & National Bicentennial Medals

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
94547 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
938 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2020  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Bicentennial medals. The one you have is an 18k gold plated bronze measuring 1 1/2 inches and struck in 1976 for the Bicentennial Commission. There are also three gold medals of the same design, .96 inch, 1 5/16 and a 3 inch. If and when you find them, expect to pay a healthy premium. The gold plated average around 20 while the .900 gold are 5,000 plus.

Aside from the two gold variations, there was a 1 1/2 inch bronze, a sterling silver 1 1/2 and a 3 inch for a total of seven medals officially issued in 1976.

There were also issues from 1972 to 1975 in bronze, pewter and sterling silver which came in velvet lined tilt displays or first day issues in an envelope. All struck for the Bicentennial Commission. Hope this helps.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
12/12/2020 11:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
185 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add navycapt1635 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All,

Thanks so much for the great info--sorry for getting back so late. I've been trying to find a library copy of the Red Book Mega Ed., but without success. I really don't want to buy it just for a few medals/tokens. Just so I don't "mis-advertise" is it possible that someone who has the book could look up the weights on the bronze and gold-clad Bicentennial medals and let me know. I really appreciate the assistance.

Best,

Bill
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 313Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05