Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ike Alert - Started An Ike Album Today.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,972Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's been a while since I've updated this post. I'm just one coin shy (1972) from completion. The hunt for the final piece is on!
Fantastic!

Quote:
But I just bought a Dansco 8176 album to start Ike set with proofs. I'll probably try to collect the different '76 types as well.
Excellent! Just so you know, all eight of the 1976 Ikes are represented in this album.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10942 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@88isgreat, I like the look of those Ikes in the blue Whitman album. Once I finish up my slabbed Ike collection I may start one of those to go next to my Dansco.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once I finish up my slabbed Ike collection I may start one of those to go next to my Dansco.
I still think my third Ike set is going to be CAPS, but why not throw a Whitman in the mix.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1766 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Perhaps because they're so brilliant and shiny that they could damage your eyes if you're not careful?

You're lucky to find them brilliant now days.

Opening proof sets is always a little violent because they are sealed plastic. I prefer pounding an awl between the two smallest coins but some people use hammers and other means.

No matter how you do it very small, very high speed, and very sharp shards of plastic can be generated. They're too light to penetrate skin much but they will do a number on your eye.

I've had them hit my reading glasses a couple of times.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always ran a utility knife (with a fresh blade) down the seams a few times. This allowed me to gently ply the halves apart. Even so, it was always good to have a plush towel underneath to catch any shards... or coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Got it - safety first!!

Collecting since 1972. Learning from then on
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
My Dansco 7070 type set coin count: 31/76
My Dansco 8176 Eisenhower set coin count: 36/36
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4796 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always ran a utility knife (with a fresh blade) down the seams a few times.

I use my Leatherman multi tool knife to go around the seam once or twice then start at a corner and pry the halves open going around the edge. I too have a towel down ready to catch any coins that are trying to escape.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got it - safety first!!

Quote:
I use my Leatherman multi tool knife to go around the seam once or twice then start at a corner and pry the halves open going around the edge. I too have a towel down ready to catch any coins that are trying to escape.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Once I finish up my slabbed Ike collection I may start one of those to go next to my Dansco.

Can never go wrong adding to your collection!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10942 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can never go wrong adding to your collection!

Tell that to my wife.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tell that to my wife.

Where is she?

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin
Learn More...
United States
99030 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last hole filled. 1972 Type 1.

This was a fun, affordable set to assemble.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1236 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job! In only 3 months!

How about a few pictures?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Dearborn - Thanks.
Will post some pictures soon.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,972Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05