Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1966 2c High SD Die Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 293Next Topic  

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2020  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This Reverse differs from a standard Reverse in that:

.the SD is nearly touching (or touching?) the underbelly of the Lizard.(and in doing so the SD is aligned to the top of the right "thumb" and not the centre of the thumb.)
. the right thumb is thicker than standard
. the digits on the left hand are thicker than on the standard
. the left foot is faint/nearly missing.
I have only seen it in two 1966 2c coins. No other year.
I believe it is a Die Variety as I cannot see how the SD is relocated simply in the minting process.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a bigger image? Which mint was it struck at?
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hopefully this is clearer

Due to thickened thumb (or first claw)could not say which Mint but as it appears blunt probably Perth.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like there is a bit of doubling on the claws.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't believe it is doubling.

1. The size of the other four claws (fingers) on the right hand are not proportionately increased in size with the increase in the right thumb and the left hand claws. I do not see how the doubling could be of the right thumb and the left hand and nothing in between.
2. There does not appear to be any doubling of the SD - and it appears to be aligned with the top of the thumb and not its middle - and being so aligned it touches or nearly touches the underbelly of the lizard.
3. Doubling - as shown by the doubling on the 1977 2c shows the outline of the original 7s as well as the added doubling of the 7s. Whether machine doubled or die doubled all doubling shows the outline of the original size of the section doubled.(And - by the way - the doubling in the 1977 2c also includes doubling of the ELIZA.)
Here, there is no delineation of any of the thickened claws/fingers. They are all just increased in size without any delineation of the standard size.
4. and as an added feature - the left foot is virtually missing - neither there nor doubled.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Third High SD found in Lot purchased from recent Status International Auction.
Attached is copy of third coin and standard Perth Reverse.
Blurring beneath SD more evident and lends credence to prior comment by Mr T that Doubling.
Whether Doubling or Die Variety cannot say but cannot see how Machine Doubling as:
- SD is now aligned with top of Right Thumb and not the middle of the thumb
- Thickening of the fingers/claws/digits on hands and feet but not (so) evident or to same extent, if any, on the four (being those other than the thumb)of the right hand.
- The raised sections of the frill also appear thicker!!
- Number 2 and tail appear unaffected.

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Third High SD found in Lot purchased from recent Status International Auction.
Attached is copy of third coin and standard Perth Reverse.
Blurring beneath SD more evident and lends credence to prior comment by Mr T that Doubling.
Whether Doubling or Die Variety cannot say but cannot see how Machine Doubling as:
- SD is now aligned with top of Right Thumb and not the middle of the thumb
- Thickening of the fingers/claws/digits on hands and feet but not (so) evident or to same extent, if any, on the four (being those other than the thumb)of the right hand.
- The raised sections of the frill also appear thicker!!
- Number 2 and tail appear unaffected.

It is as though in doing the engraving the Engraver made some of the impressions deeper/wider and in the process bumped the SD higher.

Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tip of tail is also thicker - had not noticed until earlier post posted
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Having noted the enhanced size of the end of the tail and of the high points of the frill - Perhaps I should have called it the Fat Lizard Variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
905 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2021  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite the Doubled die you have there!
Keep track of your collection: https://en.ucoin.net/?ref=Ux0E0if

My collection: https://en.ucoin.net/uid112788
A friendly coin dude that is here for you!
A coin collector from the Midwest USA.
I specialize in minting varieties and coin identification.
I am online 3+ times every day for 6-12 hours.
My best US coin find: http://goccf.com/t/387871
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is a stretched SD!
I don't know enough about doubling to say with any confidence what has happened, or if it definitely is doubling.
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2021  02:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aussie coppers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have also noted:

- Widened section of left side of mouth.
- End of 2 is curved and not pointy.
- End of tail is curved and not pointy.
- Tail is thicker than standard coin for in excess of two thirds of its left.
- When you assess the feet and hands both the left foot and the left hand are enlarged whilst only the right thumb and long claw/toe of right foot is enlarged.(Other digits on right foot and hand are virtually unaffected and virtually same as standard)

To me it is not doubling as no outline of standard/original features.

I would suggest it is a rogue Die.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05