Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 Lincoln Cent - Woody?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 922Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  3:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bought batteries for my camera so decided to take some pics. I was wondering if this is an actual woody or something on the surface. I soaked in acetone for quite awhile but nothing changed and the color on the picture is correct to the coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4295 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a woody. I have piles of them, and many look just like this one from the '30s.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent woody!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the verification.

And thanks for the comment Mr Frog
Pillar of the Community
United States
1894 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a big fan!!

Nice coin...
Nice photos...
Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So are these woody some type of different alloy mix?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15383 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like the bark of a Birch Tree . Interesting .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a really nice one, looks like straight up veneer

Might be interesting to do some XRF imaging on woodies like this to confirm the alloy mixing hypothesis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice coin...
Nice photos...

Thanks, I'm finally figuring out how to use the "OPTIMIZER"
Pillar of the Community
United States
5966 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So are these woody some type of different alloy mix?

Back then, until '42, the metal composition was .950 copper and 0.50 tin and zinc... "woodies" are a poor mixture of the copper with the tin and/or zinc. This improper mixing resulted visually in a wood grain effect that can be seen through the planchet. Think cookie dough with a drop of food colour that hasn't been mixed uniformly, then rolled out and discs cut out. Hope this helps.

ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Back then, until '42, the metal composition was .950 copper and 0.50 tin and zinc... "woodies" are a poor mixture of the copper with the tin and/or zinc. This improper mixing resulted visually in a wood grain effect that can be seen through the planchet. Think cookie dough with a drop of food colour that hasn't been mixed uniformly, then rolled out and discs cut out. Hope this helps.

That works for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
2145 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rothery to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks more like the bark of a Birch Tree

Quote:
looks like straight up veneer

OK, woody it is.........
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check VestigeWolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VestigeWolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some nice Woody's also. Here are a few.
I find them hard to verify for any errors due to the improperly mixed alloys. Many of them have lamination issues also. Does anyone else find that to be true?
Thank you.

Discovering the truth does not have all the answers.
Edited by VestigeWolf
03/27/2021 7:36 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58081 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@VestigeWolf - please start your own thread to avoid confusion on replies.
Edited by Coinfrog
03/27/2021 7:43 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
51570 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2021  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the weight of the OP's coin. It looks pretty weak, like a thinned planchet? Or maybe it is circulation wear.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion is they are the proper alloy composition, it's litterally a bad alloy mix that causes the toning at different rates and the streaks.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 922Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05