Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 Olympic $2 Coin Series - Mintage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 355Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Australia
547 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  6:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know the mintage for each colour and the para-olympic coin? It doesn't appear to be listed on the Ram website
https://www.ramint.gov.au/two-dollars
and I can't locate it in the 2016-17 annual report.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2203 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numista and my coin album are of the same opinion, that each of these coins and the Paralympics ones had a mintage of 2 million each for circulation, making a total of 12 million coins placed in circulation.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces89896.html

However not sure if carded coins were additional or included in that figure, the cards for these say "Unlimited" for mintage, which means they were feeling demand for them.
Also the set of 5 is evasive in this mintage number and there were probably proofs and silver no doubt too.

The Olympic series really was the first saturation point for this series and where in my opinion their issue goes from collectable and interesting to slightly wallpapery like the Hush and Squiggle series. With just 3 coins this year, its looking like they have dialled it back a bit.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
12/20/2020 7:00 pm
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Australia
547 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So 12 million coins not included in the annual report? Odd.
I assume some insider from RAM provided the mintages to Numista.

Quote:

The Olympic series really was the first saturation point for this series and where in my opinion their issue goes from collectable and interesting to slightly wallpapery like the Hush and Squiggle series.

To date I have noodled 1 Paralympian coin, 1 Blackboard coin and only 1 of the four Olympic colour coins. Given that I have also noodled a 2013 Purple coronation then 1 could say they are just as rare. Maybe there is someone hoovering up all these coins in SE Qld.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
851 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2020  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
David you'll find it in the RAM's 2015-16 Annual Report
https://www.ramint.gov.au/sites/def...cPDF_web.pdf (p.105)

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2836 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  01:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coaster, That list was produced before the coins were released and it does say that mintage could be unlimited. I wonder if they did stick to 2M each or went over.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
Australia
851 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve the way I read it is that 2 million of each coin were minted in the first half of 2016 in readiness for the games in August and that having a mintage of 'unlimited' meant that they had the option to increase this number ... however as they are not included in the following 2016-17 Annual Report then no more were produced ... but that again I could be totally wrong!
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2203 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  07:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it interesting in that report that just 2 were sold of the 5 oz gold coins. Must not be as much a market for those. However the purchasers must be happy to know, that their coin is now a R10 item!

My guess is they probably stuck to 2 mil per coin, I mean how many serious collectors would there be of these things, move away from this site and a few others and I doubt 2 million Australians, Kiwis or anyone else is going to be actively collecting this stuff.

Many of those coins would be bought up by speculators who know someone at the mint, a bank or some big time dealer in cahoots with the makers of those coins.

Just my coloured ring $2!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
547 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

My guess is they probably stuck to 2 mil per coin, I mean how many serious collectors would there be of these things, move away from this site and a few others and I doubt 2 million Australians, Kiwis or anyone else is going to be actively collecting this stuff.

Many of those coins would be bought up by speculators who know someone at the mint, a bank or some big time dealer in cahoots with the makers of those coins.

PT. I doubt even speculators would look twice at them as the premium over melt price is so high it would take a decade just to break even. Only hard core collectors would buy them and as you say, how many are there? Probably not that many. Certainly not 2 million.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
2203 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, especially as the aluminium bronze is worth like 1 cent a coin, the coloured stuff maybe 2c more and minting costs would be 10 cents a coin tops.

They would want them below face. It is possible many are still circulating or sitting in the Commonwealth bank vaults around the country.

10 posts into this thread, thought I may show some people unfamiliar with these coins, we are talking about what they look like

The 5 Olympic games ring coins. Each coin has a different coloured "ring" and shows 5 or 6 sports in figures.

The Paralympics coin is the one at top right with the ring as a wheelchair! The photo shows that other collectible $2 coin the changeover one and a usual $2 coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 355Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05